Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Help save Monarch Butterfly habitat

jakkom
17 years ago

The habitat of the Western and Eastern Monarch butterflies is being steadily destroyed. But we gardeners can help, by planting milkweed to create butterfly "way stations".

There's an excellent article in the San Francisco Chronicle detailing the problem and how all of us can help the non-profit organization Monarch Watch, who offers a Monarch Way-Station Seed Kit for $16. The seed set includes six milkweed species and six nectar plant species. (The number of seeds sent per plant variety ranges from 20 to 100 seeds.) Species include a mixture of annuals and perennials, and none of the varieties are invasive. The way-station seed sets work for home, school, park and business center gardens, as well as for field edges, roadsides and other vacant land.

Full article (free) is linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (24)

• Mikey
    17 years ago

I was amazed how planting a few milkweeds will attract Monarchs. We have two kinds of milkweed in both the front and back yard and we had Monarchs around most of last spring, summer and fall. They were daily visitors during the summer and a couple of them took up residency.... We found at least a dozen of their crystalis and this winter several have hatched out. Below is one that hatched out a few weeks ago. The fetching Mrs. Mikey found it in the shade where it had hatched out and she put it on a Pentas in the sun where it continued to pump it wings until it was able to fly away.
    {{gwi:513812}}

And just yesterday I was out back gardening and saw the below newly hatched out Monarch pumping its wings in the sun before gaining enough strength to also fly away. In the foreground you can see some milkweed. Disregard the very rare Dandilioness weedicuss.....
    {{gwi:513813}}

Below is a Monarch cat that I photographed in November feeding on a milkweed.
    {{gwi:513814}}

And here is a Monarch crystalis attached to a banana leaf. I wonder if that is real gold...... I think they have a very attractive home...
    {{gwi:513816}}

• youreit
    17 years ago

Awesome info! And I LOVE your pics, Mikey! I found the link to what jkom mentioned, and I've posted it below (as well as ordered a kit!).

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch

• mamamia
    17 years ago

Here in California, it is very important to plant only the native milkweeds. Las Pilitas Nursery has information about this on their website as to why. It has to do with the alkaloids in the milkweed. I have some narrowleaf milkweed that is starting to bud now and I'm excited.

• gardenguru1950
    17 years ago

I hate to be a balloon-popper but mamamia makes a very good point.

We should never introduce an exotic species to help "save" a native species. It goes beyond what Las Pilitas has to say. It's been done in the past with disastrous results; exotic species of plants often become weeds.

Also, I couldn't find any credible information on the decline of the monarch's habitat. Milkweed is still VERY abundant in California, from south to north into Canada, and the habitats of our native milkweed are not endangered.

What's endangered is the migration habitat -- the large trees that provide the resting spot for the monarchs once they reach their southern destination along the Central Coast (where I live).

Instead of giving money to "Monarch Watch" for the wrong kinds of plants, we should give money to the charities and organizations that are working to prevent decimation of migration habitat by developers here.

Joe

• jakkom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

At Monarch Watch you need to specify whether you are requesting East Coast or West Coast seed kits, for those who are interested. The seedkits are for NON-INVASIVE milkweed species, and again, be specific about which kit you want.

The Eastern Monarch is the most threatened; however, it is projected that California is also rapidly losing Monarch habitat due to continued urbanization.

Not sure why my posting lost the original article link, but I'll try again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch butterfly article in SF Chronicle

• napapen
    17 years ago

I have never read anywhere else about the non native milkweeds
    effects. I have a number of milkweeds in my yard and to keep them from spreading by the roots I plant them in large tubs sunken into the ground. Some have a much longer life than California narrow leaf and extend the season a bit.

I counted and there are only 12 Monarch waystations in California. Whenever I can, I give away milkweed plants and seeds to others. In fact I have a pretty good crop growing throughout my neighborhood.

Penny

• mamamia
    17 years ago

From what I read, if the butterfly gets alkaloids from an exotic milkweed here in California, it makes the butterfly more susceptible to predation. I didn't really look into it any more than that, except that I bought the native milkweed to do my part as best I can. However, congratulations to all who are concerned in saving the Monarchs and doing what we can.

• napapen
    17 years ago

I checked out the list of the Waystation seeds for California and it includes all the ones I have. Some are non native to our area.

Penny

• slave2thefur
    17 years ago

I agree with gardenguru - it's the loss of wintering habitat that threatens the Monarchs. Here in Carlsbad we have the Hosp grove of Eucalyptus (originally planted for railroad ties), but I don't know how well the butterflies dealt with the big freeze.

With hopes of inspiring a budding scientist or gardener, I give a few older larvae of Monarchs, Gulf Frits and Anise plus host plant material to my teaching neighbor (3rd grade) to raise and release. ... diana

Here is a link that might be useful: critters

• mamamia
    17 years ago

I'm sure that loss of habitat plays a part, no doubt. However, if the monarchs get the wrong alkaloids and are more subject to predation because they are not getting the specific milkweeds they need, meaning the native milkweeds, that will only make the problem worse. So not only is habitat disappearing, but they are getting the wrong milkweeds. I don't want anyone to feel offended here, believe me, I just hope you look into planting the natives to best help the monarchs.

• jakkom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'd suggest if you have any doubts about planting any of the milkweed varieties in the pkgs offered by Monarch Watch, that you call your county agricultural agent and ask what they recommend.

• Mikey
    17 years ago

Well, quite frankly the Monarchs in my yard will get the same treatment I received as a youngster. You'll eat what is put in front of you or you can go without...

• mamamia
    17 years ago

That makes no sense. Let's feed the monarchs the wrong milkweed out of spite now.

• jakkom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, I guess now we're on the "tough love" approach to butterflies!!

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Thanks JKom. I got off my procrastinating derriere and sent in my wayward station application. I've raised Monarchs for the past three years and might as well make it official.

I've not found any of my MW invasive. The cat's wouldn't allow that to happen *lol*

• Mikey
    17 years ago

Quote: "That makes no sense. Let's feed the monarchs the wrong milkweed out of spite now." LOL - Spite? My response was tongue-in-cheek. I've raised Lord knows how many Monarchs by planting Milkweed, yes, much of it the "wrong" type of milkweed in the opinion of some and I plan to continue doing so. If it was bad for them I kind of doubt they would eat it. However, I won't be guilted because it is the DREADED S. American milkweed, Asclepia curassavica, the same Milkweed that I imagine the Monarchs eat when they are on their migratory southern diet.... I wouldn't be too surprised if some botanist dug up some fossilized Asclepia curassavica here in the southland tomorrow. Oh my, you mean it used to be native here too?

Yep, tough love for the little guys. It may not be the native fillet but their little tummies are full. Now the birds and other critters just need to figure out which Monarchs ate the non-native milkweed....

By the way, are the Eucalyptis groves native?

• jakkom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>>By the way, are the Eucalyptis groves native?Goodness no. That's why the state parks folks are trying to eliminate them via long-term planning with different, less troublesome varieties.

• mamamia
    17 years ago

It's bad for them, I doubt they would eat it? Do you think a Monarch knows how to discriminate milkweed? I think we need a biology lesson here. And you weren't being tongue in cheek. If we are concerned about the Monarchs, then we educate ourselves and plant the natives. Goodness me, it isn't a competition.

• ruby138
    17 years ago

Mikey, thanks for those pictures (and a good laugh, too: eat what's in front of you!). I happened to be reading this all with my kindergartner next to me, and she loved seeing the pictures. Thank you!

I grow the "wrong" kind of milkweed too!! I'll keep it and now I will add the "right" kind.

It takes a village to raise a monarch.

• Mikey
    17 years ago

LOL - Well I'm glad someone could see the humor.

Meanwhile I guess I better keep a sharp eye peeled for the Monarch Butterfly Native Plant Police lest they sneak in and put all my Monarch cats on a low sodium, high native diet.

• Mikey
    17 years ago

Has anyone been involved with tagging Monarchs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Tagging

• meganp
    16 years ago

My understanding is that the non-native species doesn't die back, so the Ophryocystis elektroscirrha parasite, which is very detrimental to monarchs, builds up on the leaves.

• tdogmom
    15 years ago

Good grief!

Here's the problem...ESPECIALLY if you live in Southern California...

We have SO many micro-climates that if you were truly to find 'a' native, chances are, it is NOT going to grow in the supposed area you are told it is native to because of the micro-climate. Yes, this is true. I don't care what anyone tells you. I have had so many people contact me asking why their 'native' milkweed isn't growing. hmmm...shall I explain wby? Why does the A. curassavica grow better in certain areas whereas the A. fasicularis just sit there and, well, NOT? Could it be the soil? Water quantity? Moisture in the air? Fog layer? Altitude? Oh my, I could go on and on and on. Even within one city, there are a variety of micro-climates so that you can't state that a 'native' is going to definitely grow!

Sheesh.

If people are this fired up over a Milkweed plant, then perhaps they should just grow it in a pot.

There are many plants that are NOT natives and there aren't any complaints that I hear of.

In fact, lots of the fires that we've had lately? Native plants not having any water *but that's natural because they're not supposed to, right? so the area is dry and brittle and fire prone...and by leaving it 'back to the native' it opened up a huge fire zone So was it bad? Bad meaning bad having these native plants out there? No. Bad for fires though, yes.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have native plants. Nah, not that at all. I just think that it's like politics and religion and not something people should argue over. Each person should be entitled to their own opinion. Plain and simple.

I don't think this is something worth arguing over.

Sherry

• Swedeinla
    15 years ago

I planted several varieties of milkweed (some quite beautiful) and they did indeed attract the Monarchs (I'm in L.A.), but the caterpillars always get eaten before they can pupate. I know the lizards in my yard eat them but the skunk might be doing so as well. I thought the caterpillars were poisonous so they would be okay, but nope I have seen the lizard twice eating one (I wish he would eat the tomato worms instead!!!!). Oh well, I love Monarchs, but love my lizards too!