Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

poppies and watsonia problems

jardinerowa
11 years ago

Hello,

I do pure container gardening and concerned with a box container of shirley poppies and a round container with watsonias. I planted them both in Oct of last year. I'm in San Diego zone 10 area.
So now it's Feb and the poppies were growing but they are getting yellowish leaves except for the newest ones. I thought I was watering too much but they are in containers and I figure I should water when the soil is dry at least an inch down right? Also they haven't bloomed yet or even thought about blooming which is strange since I sowed them from seed back in Sept/Oct. I am tempted to give some phosphorus and potassium fertilizer to speed up blooms because before too long it is going to be too warm for poppies anyway. But should I give them a tiny bit of nitrogen too? I don't want to sacrifice flowers but maybe nitrogen will help the leaf color?
My watsonia started coming up in Nov and each bulb has like 5 spear leaves but since the last month or so, I've noticed that the spear-like leaves have become yellowish except for the very middle of the spear leaves. Again, no signs of wanting to bloom with the watsonias...and what's with the color? Should I fertilize them too?
PLEASE HELP! I want them to be successful. Thanks!

Comments (6)