Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
poppies and watsonia problems

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 20:42

Hello,

I do pure container gardening and concerned with a box container of shirley poppies and a round container with watsonias. I planted them both in Oct of last year. I'm in San Diego zone 10 area.
So now it's Feb and the poppies were growing but they are getting yellowish leaves except for the newest ones. I thought I was watering too much but they are in containers and I figure I should water when the soil is dry at least an inch down right? Also they haven't bloomed yet or even thought about blooming which is strange since I sowed them from seed back in Sept/Oct. I am tempted to give some phosphorus and potassium fertilizer to speed up blooms because before too long it is going to be too warm for poppies anyway. But should I give them a tiny bit of nitrogen too? I don't want to sacrifice flowers but maybe nitrogen will help the leaf color?
My watsonia started coming up in Nov and each bulb has like 5 spear leaves but since the last month or so, I've noticed that the spear-like leaves have become yellowish except for the very middle of the spear leaves. Again, no signs of wanting to bloom with the watsonias...and what's with the color? Should I fertilize them too?
PLEASE HELP! I want them to be successful. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: poppies and watsonia problems

Are they getting enough sun? What type of soil did you plant them in? Is the water draining through?

o

Container plants do need a fertilizer program. Some potting mixes do contain a fertilizer package, but most are only good for about 3 months. Post this in the container growing forum for more help on container mixes and fertilization. Al

o

Mine are not ready to bloom. Not for another month or two. What kind of poppies did you plant? California poppies get a lot of yellow leaves at the base of the plant as the new leaves grow out.

o

They are shirley poppies. Maybe I'm just inpatient. I will keep waiting. Thanks!

o

Yes, they will be a while yet. April and early May is the usual time for poppies to bloom. The watsonias are usually in late April as well.

o

Thanks for the replies. At least I know that it still is too early for poppies and watsonia to bloom.
I guess since my ranunculus has been in bloom since January, I figured the poppies would be in bloom already; Of course this is the first year that I'm growing poppies from seed. Thanks!

Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here