Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bay Area: Can you help identify the plants in pots by the pool?

Posted by sonaliagrawal 10 NorCal Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 21:49

I am trying to identify the trailing plant and the taller grass like plant in the two large pots in this picture. Any help would be appreciated! This is my house, but the picture is from what the previous owners had planted around there. Any suggestions on something different to plant in there would be very useful too!. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bay Area: Can you help identify the plants in pots by the poo

It is difficult to id the plants because of the glare in the picture. But your pool area seems to receive a lot of direct sunlight.

A variety of plants would succeed here. Do you have a specific preference? My preference would be to plant succulents in these pots -- low maintenance and they look quite pretty. Also they will not shed leaves frequently so you do not have to clean up the pool area.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 23:30

I'd guess that the taller plants are Cordyline australis, but the trailer isn't of enough detail to identify on my monitor. Take another shot as a close up if you want a good chance of identifying this. I would take a stab at guessing the trailer as possibly being a white flowering Bacopa. As to suggestions for alternative plants, it would help if you said what town you are in, or at least what Sunset zone. Also, container planting suggestions will depend on whether you have these hooked up to automatic irrigation or not, or how often you care to hand water if they aren't hooked up to irrigation. Succulents can be an excellent starting point for container, and there is a huge variety to select from; but not all are equally hardy or tolerant of full hot sun.

o

I think they are Beaucarnea's-Ponytail palms. Two in the left pot,and two in the right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here