Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soaht

Wanted: Pummelo scions and hard wood cuttings

soaht
11 years ago

Hello my fellow Californians, does anyone have some pummelo(not grape fruit) scions and hardwood cuttings they can spare. I want to graft onto some of my 1 year old seedlings and try to root some. It doesn't matter what kind of pummelo they are. I can pay or reimburse shipping fees. One more question can I grow tangelo from seeds or they will be a completely different plant since they are hybrids?

Seng

Comments (6)

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

At this point, trading citrus scion is a serious no-no because of the asian citrus psyllid. It is a very dangerous bug, and it is believed to have spread through the San Gabriel Valley by backyard growers like us.

Please do us all a favor and do not risk spreading this disease. Stone fruits, avos, apples, pears, have at it, but skip any citrus. If you have a citrus tree you want to switch over to a different variety, you may be able to find some certified psyllid-free wood or buy small certified nursery plants and take your scion from there.

If you search, you can find more info on this disease here in the GW forums.

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thanks, I wasn't aware of the spreading asian bug disease. I'm most grateful for that info and will reconsider, thank you yukkuri_kame.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Yeah, I didn't really know about it myself until recently. Definitely has me scared and not interested in investing too much in more citrus, knowing the disease is likely to end up here eventually.

I'm more focused on avocados, apples & stone fruits right now. Diverse systems are more resilient!

As for your tangelo seeds, they will likely not breed true to type, but that's half the fun, isn't it?

I'm one of those eccentric gardeners that talks to their plants in the belief that they listen. In particular, I have conversations with my seedlings about what kind of qualities I would love for them to express, and I also try to listen what kind of conditions they would like me to create for them to thrive in.

• DWD2
    11 years ago

Seng, You can order budwood from the Citrus Clonal Protection Program for a nominal cost. They have Chandler, Reinking, Sarawak, Mato Buntan, Kao Pan & Thong Dee pummelo budwood (scions) available 3 times a year. The next cutting is June 12, 2013. They also have a lot of information about Huanglongbing & Asian Citrus Physllid. All their budwood is certified HLB & other known pathogens free. There are strict rules that they explain about using & transferring budwood. You can get started here:
    http://ccpp.ucr.edu/index.html

Be warned, you do NOT want to break the rules. Some nitwits in the LA area imported some HLB infected budwood from Asia a few years ago. The USDA & CDFA chopped down their trees & fined them. Not so terrible. The lawyers with the California citrus growers then went after them & destroyed their lives. Citrus growing in California is a multi-billion dollar industry. They have no mercy for anyone who might harm the industry however innocently. The regulations are not so difficult to learn & follow. Be smart.

Good luck with the pummelos!

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DWD2- that is so scary, i would never want to mess with those lawyers. At this point I will just get a grafted one from Four Winds up north.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

I'm interested in ordering some budwood from CCPP.

The upcoming dates for ordering are Aug. 31st, Sept 30th or October 31st.

Would seem to make sense to do a group order. Anyone interested?

I want small amounts of a wide variety of citrus budwood in order to graft over a large, but sub-par mandarin and a few seedlings. Mostly interested in navel orange, oro blanco grapefruit, kumquat, satsumas and yuzu, but I'm not picky.

This post was edited by yukkuri_kame on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 5:54