Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Identification in Oceanside CA

Posted by jortiz40 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 23:07

Folks,

Just moved in to my home in Oceanside CA, Zone 10. I have this extremely messy tree in my front yard which is currently putting down a white carpet of seed pods on my lawn. It looks extremely mature and the seds pods float everywhere, into our cars and in the house if you open the front door too long.

It has flower pods that are about 3 inches long and furry. I want to chop this bad boy down before it blossoms but would like to see a picture when it is in its full glory. The mess might be worth it. Not sure

Hope somebody can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Identification in Oceanside CA

Your description is too general for me to visualize your tree. Is there others growing in your neighborhood? Maybe you could include a picture or take a sample of foliage and flower to a local nursery. Al

o

Could it be a chitalpa?
http://ucanr.org/sites/scmg/Plant_of_the_Month/Chitalpa_tashkentensis/

o

As an intergeneric hybrid, xChitalpa is sterile. That's one of its great assets -- it doesn't produce seed.

I can't visualize the tree either. There are hundreds of trees with seeds like that...need a picture.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 19:34

Yes a photo of the tree would help.

o

It sounds like Pussy Willow?? Check link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pussy Willow

o

Finally figured out how do do pics. Thanks for all the help!!!!! Still working on rotating the pictures. Sorry!!!

o

Jortiz40,
I live in Vista. Post a couple of photos of your tree, close up and a perspective photo, and we can help you out.

Patty S.

o

Anyone care to venture a guess????

Here is a link that might be useful: Pods and Leaves of Messy Tree in Yard

o

Too blurry for these old eyes. Upright catkins and alternate entire simple lvs and striations in bark but no other keys to help and too blurry for ID for this old man.

The BH has same undergrad and suggests the Extension Office should pay someone to surf the web to help...

Dan

o

It looks like a wild or I should say native,willow. It might not even have been planted-just sprouted where it found a wet area one spring.

o

I'd like to guess willow too, but the pic doesn't show stipules that I can see which is my hesitation...

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here