Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyxz123

My Garden Planter

amyxz123
12 years ago

Hi,

I am going to buy a long planter(about 14ft) to put it in my backyard, what vegetables or flowers can I plant? planter dimension: 14'L*14"W*12.5"H. I perfer long planter but will there be many problems on the maintanence? The two ends of planter are metal, but the body is composite, my husband said it's too strange and ugly, so I wonder your thoughts about it?

Our house decoration is going to be finished,planter is the last one.So it's urgent.Thanks!

Amy

Comments (10)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Is this a box with a closed bottom except for drainage holes, that is placed on the ground? Al

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by calistoga USDA 9 Ca 15 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 9:04

Is this a box with a closed bottom except for drainage holes, that is placed on the ground? Al
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Yes.Closed bottom except for drainage holes, and placed on the ground. Is there any problem?

12 years ago

It is not a problem, we only needed to establish you were growing in a container and not a raised bed. You can grow almost anything you would like in it, as long as you treat it like a container, and use a planting mix suitable for the free draining requirements of container growing. And of course you have the correct exposure for the plants you decide to grow. Al

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by calistoga USDA 9 Ca 15 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 21:16

It is not a problem, we only needed to establish you were growing in a container and not a raised bed. You can grow almost anything you would like in it, as long as you treat it like a container, and use a planting mix suitable for the free draining requirements of container growing. And of course you have the correct exposure for the plants you decide to grow. Al
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you very much! But my husband said that it's strange to buy a planter with two different materials(composite and metal ends). I don't think that's strange, and want to know your ideas about it.Or can you give me some other suggestions?

Amy

• buddyben
    12 years ago

Once you have plants growing in the planter, people will notice the plants and not the planter. In your plantings, you could include some trailing plants, so that they grow over the edge and down the side of the planter, to cover up some of the planter.

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by buddyben z9 CA/Sunset 20 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 22:34

Once you have plants growing in the planter, people will notice the plants and not the planter. In your plantings, you could include some trailing plants, so that they grow over the edge and down the side of the planter, to cover up some of the planter.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Can you suggest some trailing plants? Do you think I need to buy a sprinkler system?

Amy

12 years ago

With a container 14' long, a sprinkler would end up watering a good deal more than the container, and really grow a lot of weeds around the box. A drip line would work a lot better. If your post included your zone any advice given would be more accurate. Al

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

in my years of gardening i have discovered that planters will always bulge because of the weight of dirt and water so i would recommend pounding in some stakes along the long sides before you get started planting it.
    i think you will be very pleased with it in no time now that spring is almost here. min

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 20:02
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you very much. Do you mean I should use the stakes along the long side of planter and limit it in some area?
    I planned to attach the fence(about 2ft height)or trellis on one of the long side, can you suggest any design or material like metal, still composite material,or wood? I prefer composite material because it can match my planter.

Amy

12 years ago

min3 makes a good point. If your box was made out of wood, the sides would be 2x12. Your composite material is usually much more flexible than wood and requires more support. If you look at supports used by concrete contractors to support their forms, you may get some idea whats required. Al