Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joecobb

ideal plants around a house in pine forest

JoeCobb
11 years ago

I just bought a house located on the slope of the Cobb Mountain (elevation 2,600 ft.) The house is surrounded by tall pine trees. Hence, almost every piece of my property is in the partial or full shade. Currently the ground under the trees is in its natural state, mostly pine needles, pieces of dry wood, lots of small rocks. I would like to cover this ground with something that provides a softer, greener, "happier" looks. I know I am dealing with numerous constraints like acidic soil, exposure to forest animals, steep slope, shade, etc. There is no problem with access to water as we are getting unlimited water from a local spring. I have no preferences other than the desire to cover the rough ground with something pleasant looking that would be easy to grow and maintain. My neighbors typically leave their yards in their natural rough state so I cannot count on their advice. I looked for some advice in the local gardening stores but the information obtained there was focused mostly on organizing a true garden rather than just covering the ground with something pleasant looking. Any idea where to start from? Many Thanks! -Joe

Comments (3)