Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Bromeliads outdoors in San Francisco

Posted by sf4023st (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 23:30

I'm really interested in growing bromeliads outside but I've never grown them before inside or out. Does anyone know how they'll do outside here in SF? I've seen them growing on trees and on the ground at the botanical garden and I wanted to grow mine below my banana trees in part sun/shade. Advice on varieties and care?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Bromeliads outdoors in San Francisco

If your bananas do OK don't worry about bromeliads they will love it. Al

o
RE: Growing Bromeliads outdoors in San Francisco

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 22:02

I'd suggest you join the San Francisco Bromeliad Society, which meets every third Thursday(next week) at 7:30pm at the Hall of Flowers Building, enter back side of building from the parking lot. See their web site at www.sfbromeliad.org. This is a great way to build up a collection of hardy outdoor bromeliads, and also get good advice on which ones to look for from the knowledgeable members. New visitors/guests get first pick free from the raffle table, which can be a very good start to your collection. I grow over a 100 different types of bromeliads, all outdoors here in Berkeley, and use them for landscaping clients' gardens as well, so it is certainly possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here