Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sfbay: what veggies and flowers

Posted by GWlolo none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 23:36

We moved from east bay to peninsula area. I am getting the gardening twitch and want to see what veggies do well here. I also have a nice mound where I want to grow cut flowers. Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sfbay: what veggies and flowers

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 17:02

Peninsula = cooler Burlingame or hotter San Jose? EBay = windy temperate Berkeley or colder/hotter Livermore?

We actually don't need specifics, just generalities. My Oakland Hills microclimate is a little frostier in winter than my friends in Burlingame, but summer temps are similar. Whereas if I lived in Concord and was moving to Pacifica, that's a major change!

It's not hard to grow David Austin roses in San Jose, for example, but it's a bit of a challenge in Daly City. Zucchinis grow anywhere but pumpkins and melons will prefer further south whereas lettuce and spinach are going to like being closer to the coast or SF.

How close you are to the fog belt will determine ambient soil temps, which is often more important than amount of direct or partial sunlight.

Personally it's always annoyed me that Sunset insists upon labeling such a large area as Zone 17, because there are considerable differences from one end to another.....okay, rant over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here