Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snapdragon rust

Posted by tabassam 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 23:49

Having a bad season with my snaps..they all get rust disease after one bloom or even before it blooms. Is there anything I can do to prevent or cure the problem. I love my snaps :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snapdragon rust

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 0:26

Unfortunately, many are very susceptible. That's why I stopped growing them when I lived in SoCal.

If you use fungicide, be aware that the key is to spray often enough to protect new growth. Nothing, short of removing the affected leaves, will get rid of the disease you see.

o

I've tried growing snaps (from seed) that claim to be rust resistant. They still get rust, although maybe later than otherwise.

o

when the snaps get rust, does it inhibit flowering..on the dark leafed ones, you can't tell it has rust unless you look underneath...should I yank all of them out? or do you think they may still bloom a little?
thanks,
tabby again

o

I don't know- mine just up and die from it so I have not planted them for years.

Hollyhocks and snapdragons get it the worst in my garden, and they are two of my favorite flowers. The snapdragons that I grow from seed seem to do better than the six-packs from HD.

Renee

o

KNOCK ON WOOD .... my cluster of Snapdragons were salvaged from LOWES bargain rack....leggy and needing water .... they are going gangbusters with no sign of rust ... hope that continues, as snapdragons are a trip down memory lane for me.

o

Rust is a drag. I had to throw away a Pelargonium that was covered in it. It had just started to bloom again too. Hopefully none of my others get it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here