Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccodd_gw

pampas grass alternative

ccodd
14 years ago

OK, I was set to try pampas grass, I think it's beautiful to look at, in front of an ugly telephone pole and behind a japaneses maple to highlight it, but after research and reading other's views on this grass I changed my mind. Now I need a tall, white landscaping alternative to the pampas grass. Any ideas...I live in Sacramento?

Comments (14)

• bahia
    14 years ago

I don't think you will have the same issues with Cortaderia escaping into the wilds in Sacramento, especially if you do the prudent thing and avoid the less showy but more invasively selfseeding C. jubata, which is the species that has naturalized/escaped along the coast. Also, it is not going to escape if you cut off the seed heads before they tend to shatter and blow away.

The dwarf cultivars of Pampas Grass, Cortaderia selloana 'Gold Band' is also a better mannered plant but doesn't get nearly as large. C. s. 'Silver Comet' is another form to look for.

If you want the size of the Cortaderia, but unfortunately without the showy seed heads, the only similar sized plant of similar form that I can think of is Phormium tenax, in either the green leaf form or the bronzed leaf forms, which would also do well in Sacramento as long as it got summer irrigation.

• Dick_Sonia
    14 years ago

White? Pampas grass is green. I don't think there are any plants that come in white.

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Most Pampas grass has large white/ivory flower-head fronds. Very striking. Looks like whole plant is white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pampas grass pictures

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I wouldn't plant it in a small yard. It gets dead leaves under the new growth, and it is a nasty chore to clean them out. Each leaf is a ten foot long serrated knife. When I was a child, my grandpa used to just set his on fire every so often to clean it up. I don't think they let you do that any more.

They are so beautiful, though!

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Forgot to say: how much sun?

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

How does Persicaria polymorpha do in the Sacramento area? I've only grown it on the east coast.

• ccodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bahia. Of course I was referring to those great white plumes....and the spot gets plenty of sun, minimum 6 hours. I'm still searching

• bahia
    14 years ago

I had to do a google search to learn about the Persicaria polymorpha, as I have never seen this for sale here in California, nor in anyone's garden. It is a very showy plant when in bloom, and does give a rather good approximation of the plumes of a Pampas Grass. I suspect it isn't as well adapted to our milder USDA 9b/10a to 11 climate here in coastal California, or it may be more invasive by seed and roots here in California. An interesting plant. I do have a Persicaria species with large white panicles of flowers similar to this that originally came from Digging Dog Nursery here in California, but in looking at their web site, they don't list anything similar anymore. I don't remember what the species name is, but my plant tends to spread rather widely from the roots, rather than staying a tamer clump.

• mlevie
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure High Country Gardens sells a sterile cultivar of pampas grass, if you like the look but don't want to plant something potentially invasive...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cortaderia

• thahalibut
    14 years ago

How about a Miscanthus? I have a miscanthus sinensis Adagio, its one of my favorites plants I have. Mine gets about 4' tall but some other miscanthus get to 7' or more. It loves the Sacramento climate & thrives for me in full sun, sorry no good pics.

• ccodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANK YOU! Great suggestions. I was also thinking of Miscanthus and may try that, but then I also found the sterile Pampas that was recommended. Guess the decision will be about those "sword-like" leaves

• staceybeth
    13 years ago

I planted 2 dwarf pampas grass in a bald spot in front of my house last spring. During the summer, no plumes... nothing.. just green.... in the fall, i cut them down to the stump.. and now it just the beginning of June and both of them are still little brown stumps. Will they ever grow back.. or, are they dead. Thanks.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have three of the dwarf pampas. I purchased one last year and divided into three. Of the three only one bloomed last year, no surprise after dividing. They went through the winter and look very full now, so expect they all will bloom this year. They are in the full sun and on the drip system. Al