Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 0:05

My first iris is blooming.
Renee

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recurring Dream Iris photo

Wow, this is early, Renee! My irises are just barely looking like they are getting ready to bloom. I have a pretty variegated leafed iris with a pale purple bloom that I'd like to ID. When it blooms, I'll share a photo of it. I need to add more irises in my garden. I'm re-doing my 4 knot gardens in a few weeks, and that's where I want to plant them. I have to find the best place to order irises, preferably re-blooming ones. Very lovely. What is the tiny white flower at the foot of the irises (I see your Spirea in the background!)

Patty S.

o

Patty, the little white flowers are paludosum daisies, annuals that reseed. The variegated irises are generally iris pallida or argentea, I think. There are lots of great online iris sellers. Ask when you are ready- they will not be shipping rhizomes until August, but now's the time to order.
Renee

o

Thanks, Renee. I'll check out both those variegated varieties. I'd love to put in an order, now. That way, I can get what I want, which are more of the variegated ones to fill in some bare places in my knot garden, and then a few more repeat bloomers ;-)

Patty S.

o
RE: Recurring Dream Iris photo - iris pallida

Okay, went and looked at both variegated iris cultivars, and it's definitely iris pallida based on the pale lavender blue flower color. And I just love how sweet the little paludosum daisies look. I'll have to see if I can find a place for those in my knot garden :-)

Patty S.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 14:24

Wow that's early. Mine have just started waking up. However the roses are really early. Odd winter we've had.

Beautiful Iris!

o

So lovely! What is the bush in back of the iris with white flowers?

o

I can answer that for Renee :). That's Spirea.

Patty S.

o

I'm falling down on the job here- haven't been posting the Spirea of the Day photo. :)
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:25

Beautiful, Renee! Is RD an early or mid-season bloomer? March seems early.

o

It blooms very early, then in the spring, then continues to bloom until January with breaks here and there. It's another iris by Ben Hager, like Total Recall. Great rebloomers.
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 11:43

Wow! I'll add that one to my list.

o

The foliage and plant growth is funky and wide,so give it room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here