Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Suggestions for foundation shrub that's shaded till noon

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping you can help with a difficult spot in front of my dining room window where I want to put something showy and pretty and evergreen. Primarily I'm confused by whether it's considered full sun or partial sun... and what will make it in my specific East Bay microclimate. I'm on the Lafayette/Walnut Creek border.

The spot faces due west, but because of an overhang on an adjacent part of the house, it is also shaded and cool until at least noon (in the summer) but as late as 2 pm in the winter when the sun is lower. During the summer in particular, the direct sun facing west can get pretty blaring hot in this spot, so even though it's technically only getting a half day of sun, that half day is pretty darn scorching. Years ago, I remember this spot had a few scraggly Mexican sages in there... then we remodeled... and we haven't planted again since. I want something a little more showy than the salvias there.

I would love to plant a Camellia there because I love the rich shiny waxy leaf growth, and a local nursery suggested a Camellia Sasanqua... but my intuition says the sun will get too intense even for a Sasanqua.

I've also gotten into antique roses lately, but I suspect that most of the roses will want more sun than this.

I would love something that would complement the other flowers growing in my yard, mostly salvias, roses, lavenders, etc.

And if possible, I'd like it to get to about 4-5' tall, and about as wide, with evergreen leaves and some seasonal flowering.

Can you make some recommendations?

Thanks!

-kmama

Comments (6)

• bahia
    12 years ago

I might suggest that you take advantage of a local resource such as Orchard nursery there in Lafayette, and look at your various choices. Camellia sasanqua might work, shrubs such as Nandina, Abelia, Choisya, Rhapiolepis, Pittosporum, Coloenema certainly would.

There are also some larger more woody Salvias species beyond S. leucantha that might work there, check out choices on a good web site such as Annie's Annuals or the Salvia book by local expert Betsy Clebsch. Posing this question to the staff at Orchards Nursery ought to give you more choices.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I wonder if there's an azalea that would take those conditions? I have a similar spot. Difficult!
    Renee

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

I also have a similar spot, dappled shade in the morning and baking hot sun in the afternoon. I haven't found anything yet for it, but I hope to... someday.

Momo

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Partial sun in CA, especially CCCty, is like full sun in many areas. My roses do pretty well in similar conditions. On the downside, they aren't always beautiful, especially in the 6 weeks after being pruned back in late winter.

I think most camellias get bigger than 4' tall, don't they? I'm just getting into them, and it's hard to find any that are listed at less than 10' mature size. 6' is a midget in camellias, it seems.

You could always try the ever-dependable Euryops with its yellow daisy-like flowers. There's two varieties - dark green leafed and a gray-green leafed that is shorter (which means it tops out 4' instead of 6').

Also, there's a couple of varieties of dwarf Rhaphiolepsis indica shrubs that only get to 4', with lovely pink flowers once or twice a year. Very handsome dark green shiny foliage is evergreen, too. It needs good air circulation or it's prone to anthracnose. It has a lovely open shape and grows quickly - mine has reached the 3-1/2' mark in from a quart container, in less than four years, with very little summer water.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Photinia does well under adverse conditions. It is pretty with red leaves and white flowers. I had this one at my other house in half sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photinia

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Isn't photinia fairly tall? To keep it at 4' usually requires regular clipping, I think. Doing that loses the new growth that turns the brilliant red. Maybe there's a dwarf photinia that would work, though.