Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clover

Posted by Kristi1931 CA, Z9,Sunset 17(?) (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 0:32

Hi, new to garden forums. I also posted to the cottage section as I am looking at some of the features of cottage gardening in our yard. It looks like there have been some threads on clover lawns but I don't think they were recent or limited to California. I'm trying to develop more water-wise gardening practices particularly with the rain shortage we've had this year. It looks like white clover is the most popular grown variety. Have you had luck with this in your lawn? I'm hoping to just overseed our mixed bermuda grass and rely less and less on lawn sprinklers. Would love feedback on your positive clover lawn experiences in California! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clover

Good for you for trying to conserve water. I'm actually very interested in the same. I researched a few months back but did not find any local sources for clover seed, in the Bay Area, CA. I found websites to order online, but I prefer to buy in person. If anyone has recommendations for bay area clover seed sources, or just additional info for myself and/or the original poster, would be much appreciated. Thank you.

o

White Clover, sometimes called Dutch Clover, I have used as a cover crop in the orchard. It is turned into the soil with the annual cultivation to benefit the soil. I buy mine by the pound from farm supply sources. Al

o

Thanks both. I am also probably going to get rain barrels and eventually switch over to more drought tolerant flowers. The ones I have now seem to do okay on once a week waterings though. Haven't really even turned on the sprinklers. I will probably just order white clover online as I have not seen it locally either. I'll let you know how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here