Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy Hedge- tall order

Posted by melinla zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 0:33

Hi all,

I think I may have a tall order to fill with our needs in a privacy hedge... I need help!

Need hedge to be about 15-20 feet minimum to block out neighbors and phone pole/lines. (nixes Privet)

Because it'll be next to a fence and our yard isn't large, taller is better than wider. (Leyland Cypress and Willow Hybrid may get too wide- 3' wide or less is what I am hoping for)

Can't have berries or drop extensive leaves since it'll be near a pool. (nixes American Holly)

Also since it'll be near a pool, the root system can't be incredibly invasive or wide spread.

I had originally been thinking about non-spreading bamboo, but we have a mosquito problem already. I've read that bamboo are especially kind to mosquitoes' breeding.

And did I mention that we are in zone 9 (LA) with heavy clay soil?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy Hedge- tall order

I have grown Rhus integrifolia to make a screen of that size. As it is a native it does quite well for us without summer water, once established. You will need to do some pruning to keep as narrow as you desire, but it will tolerate it well. No surface rooting has been noticed, possibly because with no summer water, it develops a deeper root system. Soil here is heavy clay. Excess litter has not been noticed, and no pest problems. Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 14:26

Just 3' wide and 15-20' tall. Whew. 'Swanes Golden' Italian Cypress (smaller than the species). 'Skyrocket' Juniper.

o

Bamboo. I have not noticed any increase in mosquito populations from bamboo. How would the mosquitos breed without standing water?
Renee

o

Don't do Leland cypress. Even if they don't get too wide, they tend to fall over during winter storms. Especially in heavy clay. When I was a kid, my parents lost half a dozen of them during windstorms.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 12:03

Clumping bamboos will certainly work, and won't be a problem with mosquitoes; but all bamboos are constantly dropping leaves, so aren't all that clean. Podocarpus gracilior is one to consider, but when mature it does have fruit. An espaliered hedge of Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' or 'St. Mary' is also a good choice. Although this one has litter, the larger sized leaves and petals are actually easier to scoop out of a pool than smaller leaves. Does your pool have an automatic pool cover? Something to consider adding if it is a simple rectangle, and will broaden your choices. You might also consider adding a wire mesh fence to the height you need, and growing a fast growing/densely evergreen vine such as Ficus repens, Tecomaria capensis or another espaliered shrub such as Grewia capensis.

o

Although originally I also thought a fence with climbers would be nice, better check your zoning, because very few cities allow any type of fence/fencing over 6 feet high.

Carla in Sac

o

How about a Yaupon? "Will Fleming" comes to mind; this worked for me.

o

Thank you! Great suggestions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here