Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfkavanagh

Can anyone tell me what plant this is?

rfkavanagh
11 years ago

And how/how difficult it is to get rid of?!

I just did a walk-through on my "almost-mine" home, and this has suddenly exploded pretty invasively around the property. I'm particularly worried about how it's growing up behind the fascia on the front of the property and sprouting out half way up the wall...

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• rfkavanagh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Closer view (1/3)

• rfkavanagh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Closer view (2/3)

• rfkavanagh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wider view (3/3)

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Looks like tradescantia pallida....

• ocwormgirl
    11 years ago

I believe it is Tradescantia pallida. If so terribly invasive.

• onederw
    11 years ago

OCwormgirl is correct. Tradescantia pallida, aka setcreasea pallida, or setcreasea purpurea, is a hardy, vigorous groundcover where you want it. It has recently become increasingly common in drought-tolerant plantings in highway median strips. Unfortunately, it is also a hardy, vigorous groundcover where you don't want it. And it has a mind of its own as to where it spreads.
    Since your "almost mine" home in not yet fully yours, I would certainly have your real estate agent take up the matter with the sellers. It is likely that you can compel them to eradicate this plant before closing, the same as if it were termites or vermin. Don't let anyone tell you it's no big deal. (Remember that the sellers, their agent, and even your agent have every reason--$$-to downplay this.) The fact that it is at your foundation is especially concerning. Good luck.

Kay

• rfkavanagh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately, I'm already 100% committed to the property (I take possession this week and all contingencies have been lifted). Hoping I can get in under the house right away and do everything I can to eradicate it from the foundation area, but I've read many horror stories in the last few hours.

If anyone has any suggestions for how best to attack it, I'm all ears... The sad thing is that it's a beautiful plant that would look great in the back yard!

• onederw
    11 years ago

You can try the Dandelion Treatment: fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and give each sprout a strong squirt, more than once if necessary. (Some people boil the white vinegar down a bit to concentrate it more, and use it while it's still hot.) If you do, use caution (aka gloves), because the vinegar can be a lot more acidic that way.

Vinegar is probably the most environmentally benign way to try to get rid of it. Hopefully it will both kill the top and make the roots shrivel. That said, I must confess I haven't tried to eradicate this particular plant that way.

Kay

• rfkavanagh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - it's worth a shot! Vinegar's an easy approach for a novice like myself to take, and I'd rather not have to go to drastic extremes that would compromise the soil or other plants.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

While I'd normally go with the vinegar, this time I'd go with RoundUp, especially around the foundation and stone walls, because this will also kill the roots and not just the tops.

• aquilachrysaetos
    11 years ago

Stuff won't grow for me. When I plant it, it lasts for a couple seasons then dies out. I think it gets too hot here and I'm not very good about watering consistently. The occasional deep watering I give my trees and shrubs isn't enough for it.

• evilscott
    11 years ago

Try "horticultural vinegar" available on Amazon.

If no joy with that, I'd go with glyphosate.

Here is a link that might be useful: on amazon

• onederw
    11 years ago

Horticultural vinegar. . . who knew?
    Thanks, evilscott, for linking to a product I had no idea existed. And of course, now that I know about it, I have to add it to the anti-weed arsenal. The vinegun (what my DH calls the spray bottle I fill with vinegar to use on dandelions--and indeed on anything that has the audacity to try growing between the pavers in the driveway) will be filled with high-test from now on!

Kay