Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone had experience with Brachychiton?

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 1:29

I have (what I believe is) a Brachychiton Bidwilii. I didn't think it would be hardy in my zone (sunset zone 9), but after leaving this one-year old potted tree outside all winter long, I think it is just as hardy as B. Populneus, which is relatively common here. This winter, we had a night or two when we dipped down to about 26 degrees F. This tree didn't seem affected by these temps or the frost that happened on those nights. It finally dropped its leaves when it started warming back up, and now is sending out new leaves.

Has anyone grown this plant? What has been your experience with this tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone had experience with Brachychiton?

I know B. b. will take it down to at least 20F.

Joe

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 11:22

You've probably got the ideal climate of hot baking which tends to make it more resistant to the occasional subfreezing episode. Low 20'sF may cause some branch dieback on younger plants, but this tree at the Huntington Botanic Gardens would also see the occasional low 20'sF, and is thriving. Do make sure it doesn't stay too wet in winter, they can rot out here in northern California if not in full sun and well drained soils.

o

Thanks for your input! This is really encouraging. I don't know if I'll end up planting this tree in my own yard since space is such a prime commodity. I think I'm going to donate it to the Clovis Botanical Garden. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here