Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

We Moved

CA Kate z9
12 years ago

We recently sold our house on 20 acres and bought a city house with a beautifully landscaped yard... IF one happens to like highly pruned Pittisporums. I had to leave all the gardens with all the wonderful plants, (and all the work), because of the need for a one-level, barrier-free home and much less garden care.

I had to laugh at the gardener's comment on the look of the new back yard. He said that he had seen all the (yard) art before, just not in one place. My son thinks it looks like the backyard of an Eccentric Lady, which is something I intend to aspire to any day now.

I'm sure I will be back frequently seeking ways to make the yard less formal... and much less Pittisporum-ish.

Glad to be back. Westelle

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

We wish the best for you in your new,"manageable" location. Those of us struggling to remain on acreage understand the move, and the reluctance to leave. We hope you will continue to make your experience available with your posts like you have in the past. Al

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Oh, it is sooo hard. 15 years ago we did a boundary adjustment and obtained a piece of land adjacent to ours. We only had an acre and a half, but I had planted it to the max and said that I didn't want those water bills anymore and would plant very little on the 'new' acre and a half. Well, we've been here 15 years now, I've planted and planted and the water bills are higher and higher and I'm getting older and older...lol..

We're thinking of moving, but I still would like an acre and have said that I would have only trees and seasonal grass....and here I am, digging up and potting trees and zillions of plants to take with....and, you know, it hurts to do all this and still I can't stop. It's insane. On the new property, I will try to limit myself to mostly natives and collecting a LOT of potted stuff....succulents, etc., but I cannot see ever being able to give up growing things.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

welcome back westelle. so sorry you had to leave all your hard work and prized gardens but i hope now that you will enjoy helping your new back yard to go back to the wonderful Eccentric Lady look. i bet even the front yard will soon begin be more interesting again too.
    i can see the day coming when we will have to make the same move and i hope you will tell us more about how it goes for you, gardenwise. have fun making your changes!

it continues to amaze me that people can live with trees and shrubs severely pruned into tight balls and boxes, even pyramids sometimes! with a lot of space between them. i suppose they think they have nature under control. they are gaining on us E.L.s too- i would guess that 60% of front yards in our little town have that geometric look. i can only hope that for the sake of birds and other critters, some of the back yards have been allowed to go wild. min

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Well, some people are into tight control....weird as it is to me, I've encountered people who don't like trees, don't even like overhangs on the house, want everything 'open', whereas I consider those elements to be 'sheltering'. I usually think of those green meatballs as Disneyland or motel landscaping.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Nice to hear from you, Westelle, and to hear about the next phase of your adventures. It must have been hard to leave all of your plants behind, but this house really needs you! It sounds like your gardener has a sense of humor. Keep us updated on the progress against pittosporumville.
    Renee

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

Good luck on your new gardening feat! Im sure you will have a lot of fun deconstructing the geometric look in your new space.

Btw, if you are interested, I have TONS of succulents I can share :) just let me know, I'm in Fresno almost daily

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Best wishes for a beautiful new garden and home! I love Pitts, though. They sparkle in sunlight like water.

{{gwi:516216}}

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the nice 'homecoming'. I actually bought a pretty orange Hibiscus today for the patio. I just can't keep my hands out of the soil.

I brought as many plants as I already had growing in pots and wish I could have brought starts for more. The black raspberries are already setting roots and getting new leaves so I'd bettter get them in the ground. The irises are getting blossoms so they will need to be planted too. I've just been spending so much time getting the inside settled that I've been neglecting the outside... which seems to be taking over just fine without my interference.