Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Bridal Wreath Spirea of the Day

hosenemesis
11 years ago

The spireas are starting to bloom. All of the ones I planted last year have gotten big and will bloom this year. A wonderful three weeks- I hope it doesn't get too hot too quickly.
Renee

Comments (15)

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's one more.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All right, just one more...

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Beautiful,where did you find the plants in s.ca?? I've never seen them for sale around here.
    Kathi

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered them from Sperling Nursery in Calabasas. These are the 'flore pleno' variety with double blossoms.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Hosenemesis - The spirea is stunning. I also like the obelisks. Can you share some details about it?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course! The spireas are easy and fast-growing- most of these have only been in the ground for just over 2 years now. I ordered them in 2 and 5 gallon sizes from Sperling Nursery in Calabasas.

All of mine get a little shade at some part of the day, but the ones that get the most sun bloom the most. They do not require much water- all they get here is water from the lawn rainbirds twice a week for 20 minutes. I soaked them down twice last fall because we got so little rain and I wanted a big bloom this spring. I fertilize them in the winter with compost. I like to trim out the lowest branches to make them cascade, but they don't require any pruning. Gophers will eat the entire root system so you have to watch for them. They get really big- about eight feet across, but I don't know how tall they get because my oldest one was eaten by gophers.

They are pretty nondescript shrubs for the rest of the year- the big bloom only lasts about a month. The foliage is small leaves that begin lime green and fade to a blue-green. The leaves get brown edges in hot inland valleys.

The flowers on this variety, flore pleno, are so abundant that you cannot see foliage. No thorns, no invasive roots. Mikey says that they almost blind him at this time of year when he goes out in the early am to let the chickens out. They do not make very good cut flowers- the flowers droop too quickly. They are not fragile or brittle and so I like them better than azaleas (which cannot survive me, the dog, and Mikey and our big feet.)

I planted over a dozen of them because they are so easy and showy. People say they are easy to propagate- they can send out runners, but they don't do that here since it is too dry.

• gardyloo
    11 years ago

Wow, just beautiful! Thank you for telling us about them.

• User
    11 years ago

Following the bridal theme, do you like Exochorda macrantha 'The Bride', aka pearl bush.?Rubbish at doing links and mine is still tiny but I love these white flowered shrubs especially philadelphus and deutzia - are these grown in Cali?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I wish! Can't grow any of those three beauties, but those were all dog-eared pages in my Plant Encyclopedia when I first began gardening. I was surprised that the spirea would grow here and I have been so pleased with them.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Your garden is simply stunning!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Always love the pics you post of your beautiful garden! I think of you often when wrangling with the danged you- know- what. I saw a new,"improved" one in t.v. ad, and wondered if you ever discovered a better one .
    Marti

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Your garden is beautiful! We had one of these plants, but it was in the wrong place on the property we purchased. I'm sorry to be posting this photo of the final days of my Bridal Veil.

We cut down paradise and are putting in a BBQ Deck.

I saved a piece of paradise for planting elsewhere in the garden.

The entire root ball is in a container. Wondering if it can be split. The landscapers cut all the blooms off.

Fingers crossed it will survive!

Suzi

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have one in the wrong place too, Suzi. So sad. Let me know how it goes with yours, maybe I'll try to transplant.

Martinca, be careful! that thing is trying to break your hips. I have not tried the TV version, but I have two very expensive skinny ones from Gardener's Supply that don't kink as often as the thicker versions. But if I forget and set one down with the water on, it turns into a Whammo Water Wiggle and drenches my expensive orthotic shoes and sends the dog running for cover.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

"Whammo water wiggle ."....really annoying , i know but lol at the picture. :>)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Thanks renee for the info.Sorry I didn't get back here before now,but you know how life gets in the way sometimes.Appreciate your reply to my ???
    Thanks
    Kathi