Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potted Hydrangea given as a gift

Posted by roksee 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 2:16

Hello, I'm in 94510 (think its 9) I received a pretty white Hydrangea in a plastic pot from a nursury.... the back garden faces North West and East.... where would be the best place to plant it ?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potted Hydrangea given as a gift

Where it gets at least a half day of sun.

o

Hydrangeas need water. that what Hydra means!

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 15:39

Several years ago my employer sent me a potted Hydrangea macrophylla after my father passed away. It is VERY sentimental so I took my time finding the best spot for it in the yard.

I planted it in an open northeast-facing spot against the back of the house. It gets early morning sun in winter, more sun until about noon in summer, and bright shade all afternoon. We have clay soil that retains moisture. It has been very happy in this spot.

If you live in an area with hot summers I would not plant it in a spot that gets afternoon sun unless you are willing to give it a LOT of water.

Jen

o

I take it you're in Benicia, I'm in WC. I've had lots of success with Hydrangea because I've planted them in bright shade. You have much more marine influence in Benicia and I have a lot of hot sun and NO trees at my house. So, morning sun is likely ok where you are, but intense sun even in morning is too much. Fertile soil, ample water, right light conditions. They are one of my all-time favs.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 16:48

east side of house = morning sun = ideal for hydrangea.

west side of house = hot afternoon sun = too hot for hydrangea

north side of house = not much sun at all = hydrangea foliage okay, but won't bloom much

south side of house = all day sun = too much sun for hydrangea

o

My hydrangeas go against everything that's been said here.I have them on both the west side of the house and the north side.They bloom their fool heads off in both places.I've also had them on the east side and the south side and both of those places were too hot and too much sun for mine.

maybe the fact that I'm along the coast,and get a canyon breeze makes a difference,i don't know.

What I do is move things around until I find the spot they do well in,and that's where they stay.

If you put my name as it's posted here into the search box,you should be able to see pictures of mine.
Kathi

o

• Posted by roksee 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 1:36

Thank you everyone!!

o

• Posted by roksee 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 1:37

Thank you everyone!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here