Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rabbithole2020

Oxalis Triangularis and Regnelli Help

rabbithole2020
13 years ago

Hello All! This is my first time working with Oxalis and I've tried to research how to properly care for the plant as well as understanding their timeline for growth but it is hit and miss. Here's my dilemma...

I live in CA zone 9 and purchased a bag of 50 Oxalis Triangularis and Regnelli corms from easytogrowbulbs.com. I wanted to use them as a ground cover in my front and back yard. I planted them all in January because the website said to put them in the ground right away. I potted a few indoors at the same time.

The Oxalis I potted indoors sprouted within a few weeks under a South facing window. Their only problem is that I think they are leggy. The leaves are about 2-3 inches across when open (they look normal) but they are about 5-6 inches tall. I'm not sure if that is normal. They certainly don't look full and short like the ones in the nursery this time of year. Fearing they were not getting enough light, I added a "grow light" (Exo-terra Repti Glo 2.0). So far it's been a week and I can't tell if this is helping or not. My indoor temperatures are 66 at night 70 in the day.

The ones I planted outdoors haven't done a thing. I noticed this week (3/23/11) that there are one-two 1/2 inch leaves popping up in my front yard where I planted the Regnelli corms but they look like slug food. The backyard Oxalis don't even show signs of growth. The only main difference between the front and the back is that the backyard soil drains slower. I used redwood bark to cover my landscape front and back, not very thick, just so I don't have exposed ground. Not sure if this is affecting the growth of my Oxalis (ie, keeping the ground too moist). Outdoor temperatures are from low 40s at night to mid 60's during the day and we get frequent rain off and on.

I did put a few corms in a pot outdoors in the front. Those look about the size of the ones in the ground in the front, about 1/2 inch wide but don't have any height. Just enough clearance for the leaves to close. No signs of slugs here.

I researched a natural way to rid slugs and found coffee grounds work. Applied it this week so it's too soon to tell if it's effective.

Now that you have an idea of what's happening, anything stand out? I was hoping for a nice bushy ground cover... Still, I'm happy to see some growth.

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    13 years ago

Outdoors they will follow their natural cycle. they will sprout and grow when it's time, and that includes temperature. So realize that indoor temperatures are much higher than outdoors.

But is you're expecting a bushy groundcover year-round, you need to re-think your plan. Both those oxalis are dormant for a portion of the year, when they die down completely. Not even any green nubs to look at. Only bare ground.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I would recommend wherever the OP did the 'research' that said coffee grounds worked on slugs should be avoided from now on, as it is not credible. And leave the poor plants alone (save for effective slug repellent) and let them do their thing.

Dan

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

I have both of these Oxalis (and many others) growing in the ground and they do quite well, I have not noticed any slug/snail damage at all. Most Oxalis are not evergreen, they tend to be winter or summer growers. I think you will find yours will come up in early spring and persist until late fall. In pots they can be forced into growth earlier. If you get some of the winter growers they should make a nice combination, or you can plant other winter growing plants in the same area. I have a link to an example which shows the pink O. articulata which may be found under other names...

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of winter growing bulbs

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I had an old prof in undergrad who had wonderful Oxalis in the spring. Wonderful. You have to get it established, then after that you'll be working to control it. But establish first. Patience.

Dan

• rabbithole2020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I anticipated the Oxalis would go dormant so I planted them among my spring bulbs and evergreen day lilies and agapanthus. Just like what chadinlg did.

Outside I'm mainly growing Dwarf Citrus, Avocado, Pomegranate, Blueberries, Herbs, Day Lilies, Various Spring Bulbs (Tulips, Freessia, Amaryllis, Iris, Asiatics Lilies, Cannas, Blazing Stars and Gladioli), Sunflowers, Dahlias, African Iris, African Daisy, Rose of Sharon Hibiscus, Agapanthus, Oleanders, Wisteria and Oxalis.

Note: It's my first year with all of these as they all went into the ground this past fall (Oxalis in January). Only the Agapanthus, Oleanders, Wisteria and African Iris were established plants.

• rabbithole2020
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's an update:

This winter, a year after planting, I dug up the Oxalis that I planted in pots and found the original corms were a bit more swolen and healthy looking. One thing that stood out was the large, grayish taproot that grew on the bottom of each cluster of corms. So this year, I expect the plant will leaf out now that it has an energy source.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thanks for reporting back on this, rabbithole.
    Renee

• paulinep
    12 years ago

I love this plant, but I notice that not all plants survive when growing in same pot as Oxalis Triangularis. I would like to grow nice companion plant in same pot, anyone have combo's that work?
    {{gwi:516489}}