Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pittosporum Tobira trained over walkway- messy?

Posted by elvie z9CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 3:18

Hi everyone.
I planted a Pittosporum Tobira near my front door about a year ago, to eventually train as a very small tree kept at about 12 ft. to be in scale with my ranch house.

Now I have read the seed pods are very messy, and I certainly don't want to track them inside.

What is your experience, also, it it reasonable to I keep this tree at this height indefinitely?

It is 44" away from both the house and walkway.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pittosporum Tobira trained over walkway- messy?

I have one here for about 15 years. I never thought of it as messy, but it is such a rampant grower, it needs pruning to keep it within reach. It is a very stiff upright grower and I am not sure it is a good candidate for training over a walkway. Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 18:13

If you time your pruning to be soon after bloom, as the fruit forms but before it falls, that will remove the fruit which causes the mess.

A neighbor has some as small trees, they look quite nice. I believe he prunes more than once a year. The mature size is listed at 30 feet or so, which means that it will keep trying to get to 30 feet or so. Something to think about. Being native to China/Japan/Korea it will expect more water than some of California gets, so if you are in a drier area it's probably going to be slower.

o

Thanks for your responses, seems like it is too big for the spot, so I dug it up and put it in a pot .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here