Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Justica Carnea in a container in CA?

Posted by paulsiu 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 3:34

I like to know if anyone is growing Justica Carnea near the bay area in a container. I like to know how easy or difficult it is to grow and what size container will I need (will a 12" pot work)? I am looking to fill a spot that's full shade or partial shade (less than 4 hours of morning sun).

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Justica Carnea in a container in CA?

I'm not in the bay area,i'm in s.calif and I have been growing this for years,but mine is in the ground.I don't think a 12" pot will be big enough.Mine right now is probably 3 to 4 ft tall,but then like I said it's in the ground.I had to go look up the name as I've always called it Brazilian plume.
Kati

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 1:11

They do fine as a container plant here in the Bay Area, but I'd suggest a larger sized pot, more like 18" diameter by 18" tall as a better fit for the size the plant can get. Tip pinch new growth to promote bushiness, as they can get leggy otherwise, and use a time release fertilizer in the soil mix plus regular liquid feeding to promote continuous bloom.

o

I was all ready to get one from Kartuz Greenhouses, but they said that it's a shade plant only if we live in the south. In the bay area, it would need more sun than 3 hours. Do you think that's the case?

Paul

o

I just planted 12 of these in a row to make (hopefully) an informal flowering hedge in a shaded area along my walk. They are quite small right now but I hear they grow quickly. I hope they work for what I have in mind!

o

Paul, In zone 9a, you can grow them in the ground. All of mine come back whether covered during freeze or not.

Seegaye, I saw your cross-posts in the Texas forum and Tropicals forum. I hope you saw my reply in the Texas forum.

Carol in Jacksonville, FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here