Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Venice Courtyard in Mostly Shade: what should i plant?

Posted by losfelizdirt socal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 8:43

i have about a 20 by 20 space to grow in Venice right off the beach. It is the first time I am planting in shade. It is surrounded on all sides by two story buildings.

Any suggestions? i'm considering going somewhat "tropical" -- with bamboo, elephant ears, and lots of jasmines to climb up to the sun....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Venice Courtyard in Mostly Shade: what should i plant?

Your 20 by 20 space may look large when bare, but you may quickly overcome the space with the rampant growers you mentioned. Al

o

yep i know! but the bamboo is all clumping. it's not a lot of space! im just wondering if anything comes to mind :)

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 12:02

Continuing with the tropical theme, bromeliads, palms, ferns, Heliconias, Vireya rhododendrons, Begonias,etc.

Some of my favorite shade plants in the above categories would include Neoregelias, Vreasias, Alcantarea imperialis rubra, Chamaedorea plumosa, C. tepelijote, C. costaricana, Rhopalostylis chathamica, Howeia forsteriana, Blechnum gibbum, Cibotium glaucum, Cyathea medularis, Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyers', Asparagus retrofractus, Heliconia scheideana, H. latispatha, H. aurantiaca, Rex Begonias, Begonia 'Irene Ness', Schefflera pueckleri variegata, to name a few.

For nearly year round flowers, things like Abutilons, Iochromas, Fuchsia boliviana, Clivia miniata and C. nobilis, Neomarica caerulea, and colorful foliage plants such as Iresine herbstii, Stromanthe sanguinea, Clerodendrum quadroliculare 'Brandonii', Aucuba japonica variegata are also nice and easy.

For clumping bamboos, Drepanostachyum falcatum 'Teague's Blue', Chusquea coronalis, Otatea acuminata 'Aztectorum', Phyllostachys nigra, and Sasa palmata var nebulosa are personal favorites, with the running ones in containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here