Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water source for maple

Posted by laila_2009 17 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 9:05

My maple Palmatum ozakazuki has survived me since August, with watering during dry season, but not wet season. The leaves are about to uncurl from the large breaking buds. I want to hook it up to something like a drip line, that would come from a hose downhill, which would have a splitter and a timer. I would want to put the hose at the edges of the rest of the yard, possibly putting a drip line near other plants intermittently, with non drip hoses. I have a picture in the gallery of the planter where the tree is now. Lots of fog in our area, small amounts of hot weather

Question: Is this a good plan? What are good brands for timers, hoses, splitters? Is there a easier way, like a titration apparatus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water source for maple

Here I have three acer palmatums on a drip doing very well. During the winter the drip is off. How often you water will depend on your exposure and soil type. Al

o

went to home depot and got flexible hose that they sell by the 100 ft. will poke presure feeders into it, and hold in place by metal prongs that are bendable. How long does this type of hose last? I let them know it will probably not be covered, except for the drip zones with mulch

o

Half inch drip tubing lasts for at least 10 years here, much of it uncovered. It is the emitters that give the trouble especially if you are on well water. Where there is a difference in elevation, such as a hillside, you will need to choose pressure compensated emitters to get a relatively equal flow, up and down the hill. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here