Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to eradicate daylilies?

Posted by guatnut 9 so cal (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 9:13

I didn't want to post this question on the Daylily Forum for obvious reasons.....The house we bought a year ago is overrun with daylillies. They look as though they have never been divided in at least 15-20 years. The area we want to have cleared out and renewed is approx. 50 x 15' and is full of the tubers/roots of the daylillies we have already removed. They are growing back as fast as we can get them pulled. Anyone have any ideas of how to permanently get these things eradicated from this area? (Other than removing each tuber by hand which is difficult because the area is sloping just enough to make it more difficult to sift through the dirt.) Our gardener said to use a tiller but would'nt that just plow them under without killing them? We have tried Round-up...but there are so many! Need help, the new plants/trees we purchased are waiting for their new home. We live in the San Bernardino County foothills of California where the daylillies have actually become a pest (IMHO, that is). My sincere apologies to anyone who loves these vile weeds!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to eradicate daylilies?

My suggestion would be dig very deep and remove each piece of root if the ground is not to hard. Round up will not help you, because these are bulb type plants. I did battle with wild onions and the removal process took years. You have to remove all roots you can again and again. It's going to be a huge job.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 16:54

Use a perennial fork to pull them out roots and all. Good luck, sounds like an ugly job.

o

I would think any chemical strong enough to eradicate such hardy tubers would have a toxic effects on anything else you planted there.

Maybe a post of "free daylillies - first come, first served" in the other forum will work. When they show up, you hand them the shovel (just kidding).

o

Have you tried freecycle? You could probably get rid of a bunch of them if you do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Find your city/county

o

I had a war with my daylillies out in front of my house a few years ago. I loathe the homebuilders choices for landscaping when they planted a mass of dwarf irises, thorn ridden shrubs, and daylilles in front of my house. I should have just bribed the landscapers to spare me the headache and not plant anything.
Anyway, I just went in there and pulled out all of the daylilies and irises. It was a job in itself to dig up the roots in heavy clay soil. I think I ended up breaking a shovel in the process.
If you can soak the soil or do it after a good rain in winter, your luck might be better in extracting the roots. I did mine in January and the deeper I dug to get a grip on the roots, the easier it was get them out of the ground.
You can post a sign "Pick N Pull Daylillies" or spread the word over at the Daylillies forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here