Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freesias in the green

Posted by ianbrazil 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 9:15

I have been given some freesias in pots. Am I right in thinking they are mediterranean-type plants? They are sturdy looking plants and have obviously been well watered. My question is: I have no idea when they last flowered and don't know whether to dry them off or not. We still have several months of warm weather to come.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freesias in the green

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:52

They are super easy and come back every year. They are endemic to Southern Africa. Give them a dry summer and start watering in fall to supplement rain and they grow and bloom. I would plant them and give them water until summer hits to help get them established in their new spot so they have a good year next year.

They also work well in hanging baskets believe it or not because they are so floppy. They flop over and the flowers hang over the edges.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 20:09

Be aware that if you mix colors, freesias will freely cross-pollinate. I have gotten some startling color combinations from them!

Down in SoCal they're probably blooming already, but up here in NorCal my flower spikes are still buds.

Here's some freesias that crossed white and purple:
Photobucket

o

Jkom is right, they are blooming in Socal.
Mine start coming up in Oct and form buds in Feb and about 25% are blooming now. I've had them in for 5 years and added another area last year.

o

Great to see this thread! I just planted my freesias this late winter. Do I have a chance to get flowers this season? Sadly I forgot to plant them in Fall when bulbs usually go in the ground.

Although, my bulbs are barely sprouting and I think if I'd planted them in Fall they would probably be in the same shape right now.

Thanks in advance!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:03

If they are sprouting foliage they should flower, homey. Keep them watered until they bloom then taper off.

o

Cool, thanks for the advice! I can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here