Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the soil like? What grows well?

Posted by aleighjc 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 9:45

I grew up in Wisconsin and was able to grow so many things there with little to no attention other then putting them in the ground. I moved to Georgia about four years ago(Atlanta area) and was really disapointed with the ease of growing things here. It is a clay type of soil that you have to mix a lot of dirt into....and thngs just are not that easy to grow here. You have to water them often, and sometimes when it rains, the rain beats down so hard and floods garden beds. I'm wondering what the soil/gardening situation is in southern Cali? My husband has a possible job offer in Lake Forest, and another in Irvine. What grows well there? What type of soil is it? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the soil like? What grows well?

I can't tell you about the soil; that's really area specific. What I can say is that the constraint here is usually water; we don't get much rain. LA averages about 15 inches a year, mostly between October and April. Think Mediterranean, if that helps you visualize. Personally, I have developed an interest in California natives; there is a great native plant nursery not far from there in San Juan Capistrano.

o

It is not just the low rainfall, but the supply of water has to be transported to Southern California from far away. Supply and demand means our water bills are only going to get higher and higher. To see how beautiful California natives can look (natives are not just cactus and succulents), visit theodorepayne.org. Not all natives are drought-tolerant, but many of them are.

o

Soil changes a great deal from one city to the next. And so does the climate, a lot of varied ecosystems here. Although "most" soil can be amended, the most significant changes for you would probably be if your ecosystem experiences frost. So it is hard to say what it would be like. One thing you can be assured of is: a longer growing season for annuals and vegetables, a deficiency of water, a larger variety of genus that can be grown here and a deficiency of water. Sometimes the water is regulated i.e. hours one can water their lawns and garden, and days of the week that it can be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here