Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Itea -- how much heat and sun?

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 10:26

I just planted an Itea virginicus ""Little Henry". The nursery person said full sun or partial shade, but full sun is better. So I did that. Later, I read elsewhere that these plants do not like too much heat and sun and like moist roots. Should I move the plant? I live in the Sonoma Valley -- very hot most of summer.

RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Itea -- how much heat and sun?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 11:27

I'd think it would do better with dappled shade or morning sun only, and pay attention to keeping it watered and well mulched in summer. It does come from a part of the country that gets regular summer rainfall and also higher humidity. Itea does just fine in full sun nearer to the coast where it doesn't get so hot, and may in fact do just fine in Sonoma with full sun if it can tap into a high water table.

o
RE: Itea -- how much heat and sun?

I planted one a few years ago in full sun. It seemed to do fine, leaves didn't burn & it bloomed a little the first year. But maybe the roots didn't like the heat (needed more water maybe?) as it died that fall or didn't come back in the spring, I forgot, but it only grew 1 year. Sacramento area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here