Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallot seeds/question?

Posted by rustico_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 11:08

Looking to see if anyone know where to get shallot seeds to grow transplants in Southern California. I planted a couple of pounds of bulbs from Peaceful Valley Farms and the grew extremely nice plants but did not bulb up.

I learned a few years ago that onion bulbs like this don't bulb up at our latitudes but thought it was different with shallots.

One of the vendors at our farmers markets say the sell them from nursery bought transplants and get one shallot per transplant instead of a clump. I live too far from town to drive around collecting transplants from nurseries and wonder if anyone would know where to buy seed that works in Southern California. I checked with some online vendors and what they have won't work here.

Thanks,
Russell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallot seeds/question?

Hmmm... I grew shallots last spring that I purchased from Gurney's and they bulbed up very nicely.

I live in the Antelope Valley..

And I've seen shallots for sale at Lowes.. I was thinking about purchasing a bag of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here