Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Suggestions for 3' Shrubs Partial Sun

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 11:20

We have an area next to a view deck that gets about 3-4 hours of sun. The 2 story house shades it from East sun. A fig tree shades it from South Sun and the deck shades it from West Sun. From about 11:00 to 3:00 PM, it gets full sun.

We don't want anything that grows too tall because we like the view.

I thought of Camellias but they grow too tall. The soil is decomposed granite and very well drained. We would have to do some serious soil replacement for any acid loving plants, so we would like to avoid that.

Sunset magazine only addresses plants for shade. This has sun part of the day.

Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Suggestions for 3' Shrubs Partial Sun

When I had that situation I used Nandina.

o

That is a very good suggestion! They can be kept to a certain size.

Thank you!

Suzi

o

Pittosporum "Golf Ball"

o

Hubby feared he'd always be pruning Heavenly Bamboo, since we had it at our last home, but this Pittosporum "Golf Ball" idea is great!

How did you know we are having a putting green put in?

We'll definitely be using that one someplace near the green, repetitively, and probably end up with it by the deck too!

What a cute compact little plant!

Thanks!

Suzi

o

In 2003 I put in a number of Nandina Domestica Compacta from Monrovia Nursery via Armstrong Nursery. These were also called Heavenly Bamboo Dwarf.

These were planted on the East side of a North-South wall that starts out at 10" tall and gradually goes up to 3.5' tall. Each Nandina alternates with 35 year-old Bottlebrush plants. So the plants get a wide variety of sun from the South one in total full sun to the North one that gets no direct sun at all being shaded by the tall wall, the last two huge bottlebrush, the house, and an olive tree.

They are all doing well on all sides and are all about the same size, which is about 3' tall and 2' wide. They are just now about to get trimmed for the first time ever. I was expecting different growth in the very different sun environment and have been very pleasantly surprised.

What a wonderful plant.

o

Thanks to all for these great suggestions!

We would like to get them planted prior to the summer sun hitting.

Suzi

o

I have a nandia plant which is beautiful but very messy when trimmed
a japanese boxwood would be a great decision as well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here