Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune a Tabebuia Impetiginosa pink trumpet

Posted by almost_2008 10 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 11:24

I have a 10 year old tabebuia that has grown very tall (much taller than expected) and is very narrow. It only flowers on the very top branches and there are not many flowers: so it looks very sparse and you can't really get the dramatic look that I was expecting. I was wondering if I could successfully trim off the top after it finishes flowering this spring to hopefully force branching lower on the tree and increase the density. Anybody have any suggestions/comments on this approach?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune a Tabebuia Impetiginosa pink trumpet

I have never heard of or seen this tree,so i googled it,see if this is any help to you.
Kathi

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/tabe_het.cfm

o

Sure you can. Since the branches on this tree are very upgright, just trim down to a point where the height is what you want it to be. Notice that periodically there are nodes...cut just above the node (that's where the new branching will occur). If you have to cut a major, thick branch, cut it all the way back to where it branches off. I cut mine back that way about five years ago but since then one branch in particular has taken off and I'm going to cut it back later this month so that it keeps the tree in balance.

-Ron-

o

yes, i notice they seem to have a weird growth habit

but respond well to pruning ?

L A county arboretum has huge round canopied ones

o
where should i get this plant?

please tell me yaar i really like this

o

I planted a Tabebuia Impetiginos two years ago because I wanted to beautiful pink blooming tree in my front yard. It has never had one bloom on it. I see these type of trees around and they have blooms on them, yet mine has none. I have noticed that some of these trees seem to have blooms while others don't. Is there anything I can do to make this tree bloom?

o

in regard to ur non-blooming tree. I found if u hit it w/ a super bloomer in April, then organics such as a bone meal etc. in spring only, u will get blooms.
don't water tree, it likes neglect, don't hang plants on the limbs cause u need to water those & u want ur tababuia to dry out near winter time. Ironite or similar 1x in the yr. is also good. I love this tree & have taken special care to make sure mine bloom. ")

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here