Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anybody growing paw paws in CA?

Posted by ashleysf 9 San Jose, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 12:00

It seems that this is a real trendy fruit tree to grow right now. I have read so much on people starting to grow it etc. Only thing is I have never seen or heard about it until 2 years ago. Is anyone growing it in California? Are there any suitable varieties for this state? How do they taste? Someone told me that they taste like bananas?? And how big are the tress? (heard that seedlings are the best bet for growing). My shopping for trees is done for this year - just planning ahead for next year. Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anybody growing paw paws in CA?

Jack Swords (former president of the local chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers Association) lives not far from me in Nipomo. He has several paw-paw trees. I have forgotten the specific varities he actually grows but he mentioned these as worthy here, in conversation:

‘Mary Foos Johnson’,
‘Mitchell’,
‘Overleese’,
‘Prolific’,
‘Rebecca’s Gold’,
‘Sunflower’ (sf),
‘Taylor’,
‘Taytoo’,
‘Wells’

Only 'Sunflower' is self-fertile. The rest need hand pollinating.

Joe

o

One is more likely to see Pawpaws in the southeastern US.

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 22:52

Langiers farm sells them at bay area fa rmers market in October if I remember correctly.

They are related to cherimoyas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here