Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Streetscape Garden - The Good, the Bad, and the Pretty

peachymomo
12 years ago

The bulbs that I worked so hard to plant in the fall are blooming now, a perfect lesson on delayed gratification.

{{gwi:518046}}

{{gwi:518048}}

Since my bf and I put the new garden in next to the street we have had a whole range of reactions, most people love it - several neighbors have come out to complement it and we recently got a lovely handwritten thank you note from someone telling us how much she enjoys seeing our garden every day on her commute. But there are always negative nellies out there, and my daily chore of picking up litter now includes cleaning up after people who decide to knock the heads off of my daffodils. Fortunately I planted enough of them that loosing some isn't impacting the overall effect too much, and I count myself lucky that nothing worse has happened.

Every day when I leave and return home the bright yellow daffodils make me happy, it's like they are trumpeting 'spring is here!' to the world.

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Peachy. Your path looks just as good as it did when you first put it in. The daffs are charming!

The daffodil killers are probably children playing kick the daffodil. I still remember the first time a neighbor asked me to stop snapping all of the buds off of her camellia bush. I blinked and looked at her like she was a brick short of a load. They make great ammo, I explained. She finally conceded my point, but said it was important to her, so I stopped picking them off of her bush.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Peachy you have brightened up the neighborhood. Your daffs will naturalize if you let them die down at their own rate, and look even better next year. I hope you have plants ready to insert now that continue the color and allow the daffs to remain. Are you open to suggestions? Al

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

peachymomo, I can smell the beauties from here. I did the same last fall but you did a better job. Mine are too close to the street. I also throw down an old paludosum daisy bush to re-seed last spring. They make a nice little low patch behind my daffodils. For every compliment you get there are another 9 people who silently drive-by and enjoy your garden. Daffodils last for years so your energy was well spent. Thanks for posting the pictures.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

You've made your neighborhood a more beautiful place. Wonderful! Do think about adding other plants to extend the season, as Al (calistoga) suggests.

• ccdry
    12 years ago

those trunks are elm sprouts?
    the narcissus clumps should enlarge, but not quite touch.
    I'd like to know if many of the muscari (near the sewer(?) access, 2nd photo) come up next year.

there's some vicious albino dodder eating the top of your fence!

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Albino dodder? I've never heard that term before... *puzzled*

The trunks are oaks, I'm not sure which type, they used to have branches lower down but then the city tree trimmers came by and now they look like lollipop oak trees.

I'm hoping the muscari come back well next year, I will post pictures and with luck they will be even more impressive than this year's. And yes, that is the sewer access, there is also a storm drain right near there - that black corrugated looking thing is my neighbor's weeping tile.

I am always open to suggestions for plants to add, but I do have some salvia, lavender, and yarrow planted for color in the summer and fall, they should become more noticeable once the daffs are done. The place under the oaks is the spot I'm wondering about, I know I probably shouldn't plant anything there but I'm considering either some shade-tolerant wildflowers or maybe some lilies of the valley. Something to fill the space that won't need supplemental water.

Thanks for the support everyone! I love it when people think my garden is pretty.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

My eyes are not good enough to see the dodder in the picture, but if you have it don't let it make seed. Dodder is a parasitic plant that will attach to your plants with a strangling grip. It can then live off your plants nutrients and no longer needs roots. It is difficult to remove the vineing wraps around your plants, but if not done it saps all the life from your plants. In some areas it is a real menace. Al

• svenska
    12 years ago

I do believe the "albino dodder" referred to is the string of twinkle lights on your fence. Funny.

• ccdry
    12 years ago

You've seen it too? At night, in season, they become twinkling dodder. :-P

My only 'Goodwin Creek' Lavender has lasted many years, though not in flat clay like your roadside. Full size English Lavender might be next longest lived.

What is the neighbors flimsy-looking ground cover? (weeds? your photo resolution isn't quite good enough for my eyes.)
    Teucrium chamaedrys tolerates dry part shade. it won't flower, and grows a little straggly, but is ok with infrequent water.
    Iris foetidissima. Classic dry shade. Easy from seeds in the ground. About 4 years to adult size. I know many of mine have done well without irrigation, but i guess they would most like water every 1 or 2 weeks in peak summer.

Your growing conditions look much like mine. Some of my neighbors have let that dodder take ahold of their gutters and eaves. Scary stuff! (I checked under my bed, and nothing is glowing, so I'm still safe...)

Wait. What's that very very quiet ticking sound?

Here is a link that might be useful: but not so funny (Cuscutaceae, dodder)

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, okay, I get it now :oP

Sorry about the photo resolution, I never bothered to read the instructions for my camera so my pics aren't the best. Those are weeds though, I'm not sure if that area belongs to my neighbors or the city, no one ever does anything with it and the fence is in a pretty bad state of disrepair. Hopefully it will be improved some day...

I love Iris foetidissima! What a great idea, thank you very much!