Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something narrow in part sun area

Posted by kelpmermaid 10S24 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 12:38

We have a narrow planting bed along one side of the house. The bed is immediately adjacent to a walkway leading to our neighbor's entry door. The bed was planted by the previous owner with kind of a tropical theme which would not be my choice. We have just removed the palm at the front; it was getting too large for the location, pushing up against our house and blocking the neighbor's walkway. Ideas for something to replace it are welcome. The area is un-irrigated, BTW. I don't necessarily want to continue on the tropical theme, but I'm not ready to dig up the rest and start all over, either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something narrow in part sun area

How wide is it? Do you prefer something tall or would you be happy with short?

Succulents go beautifully with tropical plants, and they can do fine on small amounts of water. Added benefit: most do not need to be trimmed to keep them from invading walkways. I like the burgundy and lime green aeoniums together.

Renee

o

Actually, I'd like something with a little height. The house is built into a slope, and there is a window in the garage that I'd like to hide from sight. Maybe some kind of a taller grass would work, but nothing that would take over the path. The bed is about 3' wide.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 16:00

Three feet is narrow, if you need to walk by. Grasses get wide.

A trellis with a vine on it such as star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) would be narrow and grow to any height you wished.

o

Star Jasmine is a great choice and would probably be my first, but you might also look at Pittisporum tenufolium, Prunus caroliniana 'Brite 'n Tight', Italian cyprus, Eugenia (Brush Cherry). (Some of these will require pruning to keep them narrow.)

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 1:36

Check out Neomarica caerulea as a possibility. It has upright foliage that is relatively narrow, grows to about 3 to 4 foot tall, and has gorgeous purple iris-like flowers over a 3 month period in summer, and is relatively drought tolerant. One of the Dierama species might also work for you. If you wanted a true grass, a couple that can be kept relatively narrow would include Leymus condensatus 'Canyon Prince' or Muhlenbergia dumosa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here