Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
8 'Depth of raised bed planters/ gopher wire

Posted by elvie z9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 12:39

Hi everyone. Its raining, yeah! Time for some planning.

I am thinking of adding a few 8" deep raised beds with gopher wire hardware cloth underneath. The soil underneath is already well ammended. I am wondering at the end of season will it be hard to pull out the plants, since the roots will go down way past the gopher wire?

Do I need the frames to be deeper or is it fairly easy to pull out old plants and turn over soil in shallow beds with gopher wire? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 8 'Depth of raised bed planters/ gopher wire

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 13:24

I have a similar setup with 1/2" hardware cloth underneath; I have not had any problems with roots getting stuck. In any case I don't think root removal is necessary or even beneficial unless they harbor nematodes or disease. The old roots should decompose quickly and add organic matter to the soil.

It's common practice to use tap rooted annuals to break up compacted soils - leaving the roots in place after cutting down the tops.

o

I have not had any problems pulling out tomatoes, eggplants, squash, cukes, or peppers.
Renee

o

After the growing season, you may want to seed winter cover crops in your bed.
Also, once you have pulled your old crops, you want to be sure no adjacent trees or bushes have sent roots to grow in your nice bed. So you turn the soil and remove any invading roots.
Just a couple of pointers. Everything else sounds good.

o

Thanks , I'll go with 8" height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here