Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LILACS - In San Francisco!!!

Posted by patmonk 10a%3A Sunset17 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 13:02

As I'm here, FYI.
I miss the smell of Lilacs that grew in our garden in England. Last year I tried an experiment. I purchased a Syringa Bloomerang from White Flower Farm. I was disappointed when I opened the box to find what looked like a bunch of dead twigs. To cut a long story short, I potted it and it limped along all year, a few green leaves and a couple of tiny flowers. I essentially left it alone all winter. A few weeks ago it suddenly sprang to life. It is now about 12" tall, bushy and covered with new green leaves. Maybe I'll have Tomatoes and Lilac this year !!.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LILACS - In San Francisco!!!

Fabulous, Pat! Post some photos for us to see!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 18:08

They grow (sort of) at Descanso, and SF is much colder than Descanso, so it may eventually prosper for you. Congratulations!

o

Here in the woods on the north side of the mountain, we are only slightly colder and warmer than SF. We do grow old fashion lilac and they do bloom, just not nearly as good as in the east. I am sure the Descanso hybrids would work for you and hope you give them a try. Al

o

• Posted by patmonk 10a%3A Sunset17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 12:33

Thanks y'all.
WHICH ONES SMELL BEST !!!

o

Wow! I'm not sure I've ever seen a real lilac in my life!

Here in Sacramento we make do with Ceanothus; the Yankee Point variety has a beautiful scent, but sadly it's a ground cover so you have to work to smell it and the varieties that grow into healthy shrubs have a sticky chlorine kind of smell.

o

We bought a house in East Oakland a few years back. The garden was totally neglected and choked by vines. After much excavation, I discovered two sad looking lilacs.

And they're blooming right now!

Lovely scent.

o

I have lilacs that I have been growing up in the Santa Cruz Mts. for 25 years. They don't do great but do produce some flowers. Not like the lilacs I grew up with in New England. When I lived in San Jose, my neighbor had some that were as tall as his house. I think they were 30-40 years old at the time and covered in flowers. He use to bring me 5 gal buckets full of blooms. I wish mine had grown like that.
Clare

o

I am in Los Altos, 40 miles south of SF and much warmer. I have two Persian Lilac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringa_%C3%97_persica) that was ordered as bare root from mail order outfit 5-6 years ago. They are now full grown and blooms every spring.

this pic was taken 3 years after planted:
http://www.yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=1387

o

toffee-el - Beautiful lilacs! Wish mine grew like that. Do you have to do anything to the soil to get them to flower like that? I give mine acid loving plant fertilizer but still don't get a display like that. Also have them on a soaker hose for the summer.
Clare

o

I got a Descanso hybrid called 'Lavender Lady' and it's blooming in Berkeley right now. Smells divine, light purple flowers in small cones. I'm thinking of trying 'FK Smith' with white/pink flowers, also a Descanso hybrid. The lilacs here will probably not be the lush, giant plants you encounter back east, though. The descanso hybrids are your best bet, but one needs to adjust one's expectations for lilacs here!

Good luck!

o

Descansos lilacs were in full bloom at Easter and the scent was incredible. The plants are 6 feet tall. Try to find a sunny spot to avoid mildew on the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here