Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Anyone in the Santa Cruz Central Coast area?

caflowerluver
15 years ago

After reading most of the posts on this forum, it seems to be mostly S. CA folks. I was just wondering if I am the only Central Coast poster. As many of you know, what grows down South doesn't necessarily grow here and visa versa. And I also would like to do trades with those who are close by. So if you are in the area, please reply.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (19)

• rudydude
    15 years ago

I'm in San Jose, dose that count? No I know it dosnt, but I am just over the hill form ya. What are you interested in growing?

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

Clare:

And I am really "central".

We down here -- between Santa Barbara and Monterey -- don't consider ourselves "southern" California nor do we consider ourselves akin to you "Northern" Californians.

Our soil isn't as good as yours and our water isn't as nice as yours.

But you and I are in the same general Sunset Western Garden Book Zones -- 14 - 17.

I'm afraid I'm not close enough to trade. Sigh. Another world.

Joe

• bahia
    15 years ago

There are plenty of posters on this forum who live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is close climatically, if not in distance to the Aptos/Santa Cruz area. I would also suggest that almost all of what does well in coastal southern California except for the most tender subtropicals, also does as well along the central coast. If you want more ideas of garden possibilities for your area, there are some great display gardens at Sierra Azul Nursery in Watsonville, as well as the Botanic Garden at UC Santa Cruz.

About the trades issue, you are on your own there. I'm in the business of selling what I grow, or using it in designs for clients, so can't help you there.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I lived and gardened for more than 40 years in Watsonville, and often add my comments to posters from your area. Al

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rudydude - I was looking to trade veggie plants this spring. I start a lot in my mini greenhouse then have too many of one kind.

Joe - I guess you are smack dab in the middle. Very scenic area.

bahia - I have been to Sierra Azul Nursery in Watsonville and they do have great displays. Not wild about the plants we got there though. The redwoods and photinias are sickly and not doing well. The ones we got at HD and OSH did much better.

calistoga - I will look for your comments.

• cat3010
    15 years ago

Hi Clare. I just wanted to let you know I am also in Aptos, although I am mostly a lurker and being a recent transplant from the Chicago area, still learning about my new climate and home. Also, I am just an amateur anyway, so probably not much help. But I am eagerly soaking up any and all comments/observations about this area, as well.

• wanda
    15 years ago

I'm in San Jose (z15-17), but I know of a couple of good nurseries in the Santa Cruz area.

Try The Garden Company in Santa Cruz or Aladdin Nursery in Fremont. The Garden Company has some great veggies that do well in your cooler coastal climate.

wanda

• wanda
    15 years ago

Oops! Thanks for correcting, Al, I meant Freedom. Don't know why it came out "Fremont".

• karinova
    15 years ago

I'm a bit late for the original poster, but I just had to take the time say hello to a fellow Santa Cruzian.

I live in Santa Cruz proper-- right off Branciforte.

Haven't logged in for a bit, but after 2 years without one, I've got a yard again and I'm just gearing up to plant. I've got a difficult site (it's a hillside, with eucalyptus trees at the top, and poor/no topsoil), but it's big, and the sun is excellent. I've been stockpiling compost all winter and I can't wait to get going. I know I can get some strawberries, tomatoes and herbs-- at the very least. Whoo hoo springtime!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To anyone in the area I would recommend raised beds filled with compost for growing veggies. The raised beds should be lined with some kind of wire to keep gophers out. We have a terrible problem with those and also moles and voles plus ground squirrels. It took me a couple of years to do that and have been doing it now for 20 years. I live way up in the foothills of Aptos, but even in the downtown areas you can still get gophers. I also put roses and other long lived bushes in wire baskets. We have had gophers kill 4 ft. tall trees.
    Clare

• Mentha
    15 years ago

I'm a bit further south than you, North SLO County, but the care of many plants are the same. If you like C&S I would recommend Succulent Gardens in Castroville. Robin has some amazing plants at his nursery, I can easily spend $200 while I'm up there. Reagan Nursery in Freemont specializes in roses.

• bhnash
    15 years ago

I'm in Soquel, near the village. Nice to have a few GardenWeb neighbors close by :) I'd love to do some plant trades. My Cherokee Purple and Jaunne Flamme tomato seedlings have kicked the bucket and would love to not have to start over with seed again. I have some antique roses that need a new home, they are sitting in 5 gallon pots ready to be picked up. Any takers?

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bhnash - Costco has a sale on 3 heirloom tomato plants, good size, for under $10. I just bought some yesterday. I am having a hard time getting my tomato seeds to sprout. What antique roses do you have? Email me.
    Clare

• tammysf
    15 years ago

i like to also ferquent this site as it was started by someone in santa cruz that is very knowledgeable

Here is a link that might be useful: santa cruz info

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tammysf - Thanks for the link.
    Clare

• kevin1965
    14 years ago

I am in Capitola. :)

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

I am in San Jose area - but I frequent ProBuild Garden Center in Santa Cruz a lot and bought a lot of Dave Wilson Nursery fruit trees and special order citrus from them. They are very friendly and knowledgeable. I always stop by there on my drives to Santa Cruz.

• Axel
    14 years ago

I'm in Santa Cruz/Scotts valley area up in thermal belts where I happily grow many Southern Calif plants like king palms, citrus and cherimoyas and avocados and a plethora of other great palms. But my pride and joy is a large collection of heirloom apple varieties along with other deciduous fruit that prefer the central coast over southern calif.