Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

When do Wisteria Bloom?

When we took over this property, there was a dead wisteria in a huge pot. I tried to get cuttings to start, but it was just dead!

So, we moved the pot for another purpose. Last summer from the roots, grew a massive wisteria. We severed it from the large root, that had obviously grown out of the pot, and re-potted it.

It's got tons of leaves now, but no blooms.

I know not to let it invade, but would love to see it blossom.

When should it do that? It didn't bloom coming out of dormancy.

Suzi

Comments (15)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Mine just finished!!
    Kathi

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathi, before or after leaves?

What am I doing wrong?

Suzi

• nil13
    10 years ago

Chinese wisteria bloom before leaf out, Japanese wisteria bloom while leafing out. The wisteria in my area are done blooming. The wisteria at the Huntington were going strong 2 weeks ago. If your plant is leafed out and you didn't see any blooms, you probably aren't going to get any this year.

• nil13
    10 years ago

wait, is this all new growth and you didn't have any vine last year? Wisteria blooms on year old wood.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bummer! But I'm up to facing reality!

Thank you all for your wisdom!

Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

The wisteria grew all last year in it's pot. A big pot, and we did not prune it.

I guess we did something wrong. It's leafing out all over the place, and I fear it's roots will grow out of that 15 gallon pot and here we go.

Should I just trash it?

Suzi

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Before leaves,it's leafing out now.

Do you have someplace where you can put it in the ground?? Mine is planted along our galvanized steel fence,so it has strong support.

I can't tell you how many times I dug it up and moved it because it wouldn't bloom!! I talked to it,sang to it,had the music on the radio outside,and when I finally gave up,thought I had dug it all up,then the next year it woke up,poked it's head back thru the soil and started to bloom.I think I had it for about 7 years before it ever bloomed.
    Patience,my friend,tons of patience!!
    kathi

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have places where I can put it in ground. Our house has wrought iron in front,and chain link around at least an acre. We own 1/2 acre on the other side down to a seasonal stream and partway up a hill. There isn't a water source down by that stream. Would it survive down that hill?

The frontage is all planted, and we have seen it's roots, so it can't go anywhere near any slab or the pool.

It's a pretty big plant.

Suzi

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Not worth the trouble. I'm still pulling out suckers that appear 30' from where the originals were planted. We removed ours in 2008.

• devolet
    10 years ago

I have never had luck with them either. They are blooming in NorCal now and I wanna wear the flowers like a wig. I'm bald. Improvise. I hear they just need to be left alone to do their thing, not disturbing the roots. And its best to buy older nursery stock that's in bloom because they take awhile to work their magician younger. Fertilize with fish emulsion if you can stand the smell for a couple of days. I'm an inpatient gardener so my mantra kicks in of grow and be happy, or become mulch... I take photos of everybody else's wisterias or visit the ones I know bloom in front of this particular house in Santa Cruz.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Yesterday we attended a 'celebration of life' at a hundred year old country summer resort with the most beautiful and largest blooming Wisteria I have ever seen. It covers an arbor 50 yards long by 10 yards wide. Over two hundred of us were seated under it. This is a wonderful plant, but only if you have enough room for it. Al

• nil13
    10 years ago

The best bloomers come from grafted named cultivars. The rootstock is a notoriously fickle bloomer.

And they can be kept small. The japanese have been doing it for ages. It just takes a lot of pruning, both summer and winter. The summer oruning contrils the size, and the winter pruning forces the spring root energy to go into flowrrs instead of foliage.

This post was edited by nil13 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 22:02

Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we have rootstock, and I think it's going to the curb.

Thanks!

Suzi

• Fred51
    10 years ago

Your wisteria will bloom when it stops growing so fast, they bloom in spring. best way to get them to flower is to rest a axe at the base of the trunk, and walk away do not feed it or water it over summer, only cut it back if you have to, and never cut it back hard as it will grow like crazy and put every think into growth and no flowers. The roots may be a problem if there are pipes in the area. seed grown plants can take a few years to flower. best of luck

Original Author
    10 years ago

That was funny Fred51! The previous owner showed a photo of this thing in bloom, and it was beautiful! I'm sure the grafted part died and what we have is simple root stock.

It's in a container, but might find a new home in the compost pile.

Thanks everyone!

Suzi

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional