Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Considering columnar conifers

Posted by rosefolly Z9/S16 NCal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 13:44

I would like to introduce a few conifers into my garden for design reasons. I am thinking of them as exclamation points. I'm particularly looking for ones that won't get too big too quickly. Dwarf forms that would end up around 8-12 feet at maturity might work well.

I have my garden zoned by water requirements. One area is watered weekly, another is watered every third week, and in the last area, plants are not watered at all once they are established. Ideally I would like cultivars that would do well in all three environments. I don't need it to be the same one.

My soil is a sandy clay on a limestone base. We get an average of 15" of rain a year, with California's typical wide variation. We're going to be lucky to get 4" this year.

Rosefolly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Considering columnar conifers

I would ask on conifers forum for drought tolerant selections. I have two dwarf conifers, but they are both high water plants as trees go. You don't want them look brown and ratty.

o

I grew Golden Arborvitae out at the front house here in Simi Valley, and once established they were never watered. They got to be about 8' tall, they were gorgeous, and they were wonderful at Christmas for greenery. I only took them out because we had to- we replaced the old fence and these two old beauties were in the way.

I recently planted two dwarf ones in my back rose garden, but I don't think they will get enough sun. I love the chartreuse color with the dark red roses- I sure hope they make it. I recommend them very highly- I can't think of a single drawback. They will get pretty big if they get regular water- I don't know how big, but I have a friend with one that is about ten feet tall. They are not skinny, though- not exclamation point skinny, anyway.
Renee

o

I just remembered that hoovb mentioned Skyrocket cypress a while back. You may want to check that out.
Renee

o

My favorite for your purpose is the Irish Yew or Taxus Stricta. It can be kept any size you want for as long as you want. Evergreen and beautiful year around and does not require summer water"once established". Al

o

I recommend starting with the largest size you can afford. I went through a conifer phase, especially liking the fastigiate ones and ultimately ended up getting rid of some really nice plants including skyrocket junipers, arborvitaes(Degroots Spire is a nice narrow one) and yews because they grow so slowly and would have taken a few more years to make even slightly the impact I wanted.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 15:01

'Tiny Tower' Italian Cypress. It will get taller than 10' but will do so so slowly it may not be a problem.

o

Korean fir!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here