Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato Bush Tree

Posted by paul_in_long_beach Z 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 14:24

Hi. Paul in Long Beach is now Paul in Redwood City (half-way between San Francisco and San Jose). After 20 years at a large company, it was swallowed by an even larger company and I moved to where I could find work (I'm not getting any younger). At any rate, I'm renting a house with non-existent landscaping (the owner put down landscape fabric covered with bark -- the weeds were horrendous). The exception are two formerly beautiful potato bushes trained as lollipop trees on either side of the walkway up to the front door. To make a long story short, we have had mulitple nights of frost. The trees are completely leafless. How do I tell if they are deciduous or dead, other than to wait to see if they leaf out again in Spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato Bush Tree

Take your fingernail and scratch some of the bark to see if it's green underneath. If you don't find green go down a little further on the branch and try again.

o

My guess is you have Lycianthes rantonnei. It is often confused with the Solanum or Potato Bush. It will recover if you do nothing at all. When it is fully leafed out you can then touch up the dead tips. Al

o

I just came in from the garden and I noticed that my blue potato bush (lycianthes) has some tiny green sprouts on it because of the past few days of warm weather. It also lost all it's leaves in January's frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here