Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?

kristimama
16 years ago

Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery in the Bay Area? Mainly I'm looking for large terra cotta and a few large glazed pots. I'm kicking myself for not buying the ones I saw at Norcal last summer and now that they're closed, I'm hoping there are other Norcal-esque warehouses or outlets for good pottery somewhere.

I'm in the East Bay, but I could travel down 680 or 880 if I knew where to go.

Thanks!

Comments (26)

• bettyn_gardener
    16 years ago

A number of times I drove in to NorCal from Davis. Their prices were so good is was worth the drive - I hope there is an alternative.

BettyN

• wanda
    16 years ago

There's a discount pottery outlet off of 680 in Fremont. I think the exit is Andrade Rd. You can see it from the freeway.
    They have all kinds of pots and some statuary too at great prices.

wanda

• kristimama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Now I know which direction to head in.

• bettyn_gardener
    16 years ago

This looks like the right one...

http://www.plantandpotteryoutlet.com/

They sell plants too.

BettyN

• kristimama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I made the drive down today... and I have to say it was a disappointment. The only true "discount" pots were a back section with cracked, chipped, and structurally unstable pots and statuary. The regular pots were about the same prices as OSH and Home Depot mostly glazed from Asia. A couple terracotta from China. But definitely underwhelming. So I guess I'll have to keep looking. Maybe we can take up a petition to reopen Norcal. (Kidding.)

• caudex1
    16 years ago

Are you talking about the place in San Leandro?

• wanda
    16 years ago

Really!!! Wow, I was there about 2 months ago and they had tons of pottery of all types at what I thought were really good prices...way cheaper than any retail nursery around here.

Maybe they've raised their prices since I was there last. Sorry you made the trip to be disappointed.

wanda

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I like Clay of the Land 2748 San Pablo Avenue, in Berkeley.

• kristimama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh no, looks like Clay of the Land has gone out of business. Their number is disconnected and their website has been removed.

I found another one in Berkeley the other day called "Cactus Jungle" but their prices, weren't any different than the home depots and the OSHes of the world.

I admit, I'm picky... I'm looking for discount Italian terra cotta, not just lower priced Chinese or Malaysian pottery.

The search continues...

• AMYQofU
    16 years ago

How about AW pottery on Adeline (near Ashby) in Berkeley? Mostly asian, but good stuff at decent prices.

• bettyn_gardener
    16 years ago

AW is good; wonderful selection - just not the great discount prices for very slightly damaged pots that we enjoyed at NorCal. At NorCal I got 12" glazed pots with minor chips on the rim for $2.50 each. I'm afraid those days are gone.

BettyN

• plantstand_az
    16 years ago

I know many of you are not looking for high volume , however we are the largest plant and pottery distributor in the state of Arizona. We bring in 350-400 containers a year of pottery. We have the most competive lines of pottery out there and our mexican pottery blew Norcal out of the water! We are a family owned company and were the original founders of The Plant Stand of CA which we sold in 94' we relocated to Phoenix, AZ and now as mentioned are the largest in AZ . We service all of the southwest US and are capable of shipping to just about anywhere. Our website is in construction however we have catalogs and a full in house sales team as well as outside sales reps. I noticed many of you buy from AW well we are prob there biggest custumer as well we have our own factory in Mexico that does work soley for our company ! If any of you are looking for Mexican pottery i can almost quarentee that we can beet anyone out there.. I know this whole blog is based on seconds so now i will finally get to that .. I have prob the largest selection and build up of seconds and if there is anyone looking to fill a box truck and come over to AZ .. I will definetly make it worth your while. Not to mention plants.. We supply all of the HomeDepots in the Southwest US as well as all the Krogers in AZ and alot of the other Krogers in the US. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND CHECK US OUT!

Eddie Smith Jr

Here is a link that might be useful: plantstand

• senjanevada
    16 years ago

My sources of terra cotta and ceramic pots are flea markets and thrift stores (lol). Found many nice and new Norcal in my price range (I am cheap, for sure).

Once, I got new large italian terra cotta pots for $1 each; Too bad I didn't drive my truck that time. Another lucky day was when I visited Raley's after christmas. I got nice large pots for $1 as well and 6" christmas cactus for $2.99. I love Raley's.

Good luck in hunting great bargain, don't miss any garden sale after Spring or Christmas.

• bhnash
    12 years ago

Bringing up this old thread, in hopes that someone has found a new source for pottery like NorCal.

• loreleie
    11 years ago

Another try just in case. . .

• eastbaywilds
    11 years ago

i realize that this is a very old thread, but in case people are still looking. i have a very large selection of pots - many used, many antique/vintage, some cracked, some w/ interesting repairs, plus i have lots of planting containers which are made from repurposed vintage items at my native plant nursery which is in the fruitvale and by appointment only. i'm there for a little while everyday, but at different times, so you need to call first. 510-409-5858 i'm located on the corner of 28th ave and foothill blvd. another fantastic place to purchase pottery - either cracked or perfect is AW pottery's outlet on 50th ave at 880. they are always willing to bargain - particularly on the cracked stuff and if you are purchasing a lot of it like i do. there is no other place as good as this on the entire west coast of the country. they have an enormous selection of many different kinds of pottery from around the world - from the most expensive to the cheapest. one other place which is sometimes really good, and other times not at all is Urban Ore in berkeley. i've gotten several truckloads of really nice, old pottery there recently, but you do have to hit it right. i go weekly, so my chances are good that sometimes i'll hit it.

Here is a link that might be useful: East Bay Wilds

• outdadoor
    9 years ago

I want to reopen this topic as its 2014 and I am looking for pots we-- went to the one off 680 , plants were a good deal but the pots were Chinese and very different from our Mexican terra cottas. Any ideas? I went to a GREAT PLACE IN Oakdale years back but not sure if they are still there.... thanks.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

Costco. Selection is limited and availability is sporadic.... but a great value.

Be sure to check the Costcos with "Garden Centers" - they usually carry more stock of pots.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    9 years ago

The Oakdale place is still there (I'm thinking you mean the one in Escalon which is right by Oakdale) http://www.lopezimports.net Lopez Imports.

• kmasj
    8 years ago

Lopez Imports in Oakdale has a HUGE selection of pots. I was there last month and was very impressed by the variety and the price.

• Kat Sobotta
    7 years ago

Like most of you I miss NorCal. When I lived in the BA there was a place that sold seconds on clay chimney pots that I used as garden containers. No bottoms but elevated the plants. All shapes and sizes so it looked way cool. It was in Berkeley somewhere. Don't remember name but I found it under "tiles". Good luck.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Outside Safeway in Hayward...a big variety of ceramic glazed pots. At $29 not bad for the size. Smaller sizes less. On Foothill.

Must be for a short time..hurry.

• Olivia Smartt
    2 years ago

This is the one off of 680: Plant and Pottery Outlet, Sunol. their prices are a bit lower, but not cheap like wholesale

https://www.plantandpotteryoutlet.com

• Matthias Hausner
    2 years ago

HomeGoods has pottery at good prices in early spring. Limited selection and small inventory, but I got some nice large glazed pots there for half or less than they would cost in other big box stores.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    2 years ago

I guess it was norcal in San Leandro ( never noticed the name on my visit years ago) that I bought a few pots. Funny thing is,THOSE pots I still have with plants while my glazed type pots from elsewhere pretty much all broke.

I meant to to go back.

• nancyjane_gardener
    2 years ago

Most of the Grocery Outlets have nice pots in the spring for really good prices, but they go fast!