Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

citrus budwood order from ucr ccpp - anyone interested?

I just got approval to order budwood from UCR CCPP online, and I'm wondering if anyone is planning on ordering? I see that you have a minimum order of 12 budwoods per variety, with a grand total of 36 budwoods. So, that sounds like you can pick 3 varieties, getting 12 budwoods per variety. I am wondering if there is someone else planning on ordering, and maybe? we could split the order, so we can all get more varieties and maybe 2 or 3 budwoods per variety? This will be my first attempt at propagating, and will probably need some help from CRFG in N. San Diego county, and I saw all the excellent tutorials on the Citrus Growers Forum, which will be very helpful. So, any California members interested in pooling orders? I am planning on ordering Ugli tangelo and Xie Shan mandarin, and haven't decided on a 3rd variety, yet. And, I need to figure out what rootstock to order (probably? trifoliate) and from where. I will be putting up a little greenhouse (would love recommendations on a greenhouse for us in S. California, too) in the next month or two, so hopefully I'll have a nice place to put my grafted trees to take and grow.

Patty S.

Comments (7)

• piyaz
    13 years ago

I am interested but need more details on this transaction
    Ali

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ali, if you go to UCR's CC PP site, you can see what budwood is being offered. I am planning on ordering Ugli Tangor, Valentine Pummelo and Xie Shan Mandarin. And haven't decided on other varieties yet. I have two other folks that want to split the Xie Shan with me. I have to place a minimum order of 12 budwood per variety, so I was hoping to split some of what I was planning on ordering so I didn't end up with 12 of one variety, since I really only want 3 or 4 budwood of each variety to graft with. I'd rather have more varieties and less #'s of budwood per variety since I'm a backyard orchardist and not a commercial grower.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR Citrus Clonal Protection Program Budwood Ordering

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

Patty, though I am interested in trying my hand at grafting, I am looking for "rare to find" pigmented oranges/mandarins. So, if your list ever increases to include any of the following, and if there is interest in sharing (I do not want to utilize 12 budwoods of each kind as I am a rookie and am doing this as an experiment - 3-4 buds of each typewould do for me) .
    Here is the list - I believe the Smith Red and Vainiglia are available in the market, but hard to find - the rest are not available:
    Bream Tarocco
    Variegated Cara-Cara
    Red Valencia (Smith Red?)
    Salustiana
    Vainiglia Sanguigno

• peebee1
    13 years ago

Hi Patty! I see your postings on the citrus forum alot. I am interested in grafting for the first time too, but from what someone told me who is more experienced, I missed my chance this year cuz you should graft just before your branches bud out, and my big lemon tree looks like its too late. Is that true?

If not, then I might be interested in the pummelo, but I just don't see Valentine on their site under varieties, only others. Where is it, so I can see the description? I think my zone won't grow grapefruits well, but pummelos look okay. I really wanted to try the Cocktail Pummelo tho, but I'm open. Have you tried the mandarin you want? What made you decide on that particular one? I'd love a satsuma too.

Suzie

• markkorte_gmail_com
    13 years ago

@ hoosierquilt. I would be interested in splitting an order. I am also open to suggestions. I was looking to get a blood orange of some variety and perhaps the cara cara pink navel. Again, I am open to suggestions, as I am pretty new to this. Cara Cara Pink Navel and Page Mandarin seem to be recommended.

• jbclem1_charter_net
    13 years ago

Are you still looking for people to share this order? I'm interested in Valentine Pummelo, Bream Tarocco, Red Valencia, and possibly others. What's the cutoff date for your order, if you haven't sent it already. Also, I believe that when UCR talks about 12 budwoods, they mean 12 buds, probably on 2 or 3 sticks, not 12 sticks. I believe I once saw a photo of someone's order and it definitely wasn't 12 sticks.

John
    Topanga, Ca. 90290

• trimpham
    12 years ago

Hi there everyone,

I just joined gardenweb and was curious if anyone is going to buy citrus budwood. Perhaps I could join in as well?

Thank you,
    Tri