Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael__ames

Bougainvillea/Star Jasmine still dormant? Or dead?

michael_ames
12 years ago

I just moved to Southern California this past year, so I'm having trouble understanding seasons/growing times, etc.

I know that some things go dormant for the winter months, but now that spring seems to have arrived (wildflowers and fruit trees in bloom, new leaves on fig trees, etc.) I'm concerned about my bougainvillea and star jasmine plants, which show no signs of waking up.

Both are young plants I bought in the fall - each 2 ft tall, planted in 15" diameter pots, in a well-draining mix. They bloomed for a week or two in October but then went dormant - the jasmine looks unchanged, and the bougainvillea has lost some leaves and developed some brittle/woody parts.

I gave them a boost of fertilizer this week and a good, deep watering, but they still seem in stasis. Is it still too cold at night for them to grow?

They each get at least 6 hours of direct sun/day, mostly morning and early afternoon.

Do I just need to be more patient? Or is intervention needed?

Also - anyone have any recommendations on books/websites I can read to learn more about gardening in this climate?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• bahia
    12 years ago

It really depends on where you love in southern California as to when these two plants will "wake up" for you. In fact, the timing will probably vary even within your own garden. You must be in a colder winter part of the area, and things like warmer growing plants such as these will start growing again as nights warm back up into the 50's*F and days consistently get back into the 70's*F.

A good general reference book that covers the climate and would identify your growing zone would be the Sunset Western Garden Book Encyclopedia. Your local library ought to have a copy as well.

If these plants haven't started to grow again
    within the month, that would be the time to start worrying. In
    general, a Bougainvillea will grow better and stay evergreen longer with more bloom if you move it to a
    south or west facing wall location with full sun all day. Th8e
    extra heat created by locating it against a sunny wall is the ideal spot.

• buddyben
    12 years ago

My star jasmine (in ground vines) haven't changed either. My experience is that it changes in late spring. Give yours more time.
    My bouganivilla (potted) just started putting out tiny new leaves this past week or so. It gets full sun all day. Give yours more time.
    I'm in the San Fernando Valley (hotter than nearby Los Angeles)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    12 years ago

Star Jasmine doesn't lose its leaves, so if yours has, it's dead. If it still has leaves, it's fine. Star Jasmine loves the hot weather, and the smell always reminds me of summer.

Bougainvillea you can break one of the branches a little--if you see green, it's fine too.

Carla in Sac

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Bougainvillea is more likely to die from cold then star jasmine. I never had a star jasmine die from cold, but I had two of them die for other reasons. I think it was either poor drainage, bad soil or failure to water before it was established. Bougainvillea has died from cold every time, so I don't have any Bougainvillea now. If you can get a Bougainvillea to be huge and big and well established it will survive cold. It is the small ones that die. It can be really annoying to have to wait, but sometimes it does pay off to wait. Other times I just chuck the plant, so I have room for something new. It is still early right now. I would give it until late April.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

My experience with Star Jasmine is that it sits for a year or so doing (apparently) absolutely nothing, then bursts forth with lots of growth. Perhaps it establishes itself by growing roots first.

Young bougies don't do much until May. As they establish themselves thoroughly they may grow at any time of year close to the coast.

Books, get Pat Welsh's gardening in southern california books and Robert Smaus "52 Weeks in a California Garden".

They thoroughly explain how gardening here is different than the rest of the country. Libraries usually have them if you do not want to purchase. Pat Welsh has a helpful website, and answers questions, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: pat welsh gardening website

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm