Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy pine straw in LA

Posted by Starfinder 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 15:07

Hi,

I have blueberries growing in smartpots and I would like to buy some pine straw bales to use as a mulch. I checked local Home Depot, Lowes, OSH and local nurseries. None of them carry this product. Does anyone know an alternative source of pine straw in Los Angeles area (other than collecting it myself)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy pine straw in LA

Pine and straw are two different things, as far as I know. If you need pine bark, sometimes pet stores have it in small quantities. If you want straw for mulch, look for feed and tack stores.

o

Pine straw bales are baled pine needles, aren't they? I have not ever seen that product offered for sale in southern California.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 16:42

lgteacher, "pine straw" is a common mulch in the Southeastern US, and is pine needles. I learned that reading other forums which have Southeasterners posting. It's not a common California term, because mulch/soil amendment tends to be a local product (due to transportation cost) and we don't have a lot of pine lumber mills here.

Starfinder you may have to collect it yourself, or if you want to acidify soil here you have to use peat moss, azalea/camellia mix, or soil sulpher, and a bark product. For my blueberries I mulch with peat moss as a first layer and another type of mulch over that, to keep the peat from drying out. Gardening is all local...

o

Hoov ~ what kind of blueberry produces for you? How long have you had them?
Do you know your chill hours? I've been eyeballing them. Thanks.

Starfinder ~ happy collecting! I found a quiet block of long needled pines. Love them. Only thing that doesn't disappear in a year in this adobe soil.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 11:20

I have 'Bountiful Blue' and 'Sunshine Blue'. They produce great every year. I've had them--6 or 7 years now, planted in the ground with camellia/azalea mix and a yearly small dose of soil sulfur. The biggest problem is keeping the birds from stealing the fruit.

The newer hybrids available are based on Southeastern species, require little or no chill, and are very heat tolerant.

o

Thanks Hoov. Writing them down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here