Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artsydiva22

Where to buy grape vines??

artsydiva22
18 years ago

We're finally building a pergola for our yard and would like to find out where we can buy grape vines to grow on them in Southern California. I've searched online, but most sites do not ship to CA. I've also read about starting from cuttings, but I'm pretty new to gardening and am a bit intimidated. Any suggestions about vendors and types of grapes would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

Almost every good nursery throughout the state carries grape vines at bare-root season (Dec-Feb) and usually carries potted plants (leftovers) March-Jun. That's assuming you're looking for table grapes.

If you're looking for wine grapes, you might try:

Bay Laurel Nursery
    2500 El Camino Real
    Atascadero, CA 93422
    Tel: 466-6455
    Fax: 805-466-6455
    URL: www.baylaurelnursery.com
    email: info@baylaurelnursery.com

Lon J. Rombough
    P.O. Box 365
    Aurora,OR 97002-0365
    Tel: 503-678-1410
    Wine and table grape cuttings

Sonoma Grapevines
    1919 Dennis Ln
    Santa Rosa, CA 95403
    Tel: 707-542-5510
    Fax: 707-542-4801
    Varietal/table/raisin grapes

Joe

• rickjames
    18 years ago

Depends on what types you want and maybe where you are in CA, but I see them all the time (bare-root) at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. Also OSH, and I have seen them at Costco but that was ?last year or before? They're usually table grapes, but just recently I have seen wine grapes for sale in a 3-pack at w-mart and I have seen wine grapes at Home D. In fact, if you move quick, you may still be able to get bare-roots on clearance around now....

I bought my grapes at Home D-- I like Concord and Muscat, so thats what I bought, couple of plants each. I have heard that you can eat wine grapes, and since I live in "wine country" of course I considered it, but I bought what I know I like. Plus I think you can make wine from muscats...hehe... Some varieties need lots of heat, I think Thompson is one.

I haven't had them long, about a year, and this depends on where you live, but here where I am in the SF bay area with "June gloom" they can be prone to fungal infections, so I need to be careful with pruning so that they are open for air circulation. Those Concords are supposed to be sensitive to anti-fungals like copper and sulfur so I am just gonna try to be careful. My dad grew grapes near here years ago and they did fine, I don't think they gave him much trouble. I have read that they prefer deep occasional irrigation and like hot dry summers, and for richest flavors they prefer hot days with lots of sun and cool nights, but I am not sure if that is wine-grape thing only or not. I just try maintain the Mediterranean-type climate for them with a some summer water. I also try to give them a little bit of a balanced all-purpose fertilizer but that is just instinct and not education or experience on my part. I don't otherwise pay much attention to them. Isn't there a grape forum? Or is it just wine...

I love grapes on a patio cover or pergola...the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena has a lovely one with clusters of green grapes hanging down.

HTH.

• sashacat
    18 years ago

Depending on where you live, the smaller nureries will have a much larger selection.

Dave Wilson has a nice page on what grows well here in CA.
    http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/br40vine_grapes.html

Armstrong usually has a good selection and if you are close to Lakewood, H & H Nursery.

I have Crimson Seedless and Fantasy Seedless in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson's Grapes Page

• pappytew_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

looking for MOURVEDRE; also known as MATARO, MONASTRELL.rare now but used to be grown exclusivly in the ontaio/fontana ca area.bare root plants preferred, but will also take cuttings.

• bfuller_ameripress_com
    12 years ago

Looking for wine grapevine growers in Virginia. I have ordered bare root vines online from California rootstock and were very disappointed. I would like to find a local supplier in Virginia if possible.

• nolantew
    11 years ago

still looking for retail mourvedre bare root plants; also black mission, and baco noir. also guarana and yerba mate seeds.new email add:nolandesertrat2@hotmail.com. thanx

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Starting grapes from cuttings is dead easy - almost foolproof.

They have to be pruned every year, resulting in an abundance of cuttings. I am usually begging people to take some, but this year they are spoken for.

Just stick the cutting in a pot with peat moss or soil or whatever and keep a little moist. I've had grapes root that I just stuck in the ground and forgot.

If you're planning on going commercial, you might want a specific disease resistant rootstock, but for home gardening, why pay for grapes? Lots of other stuff to spend your money on.

• afgoody
    10 years ago

I'd like to start a very simple, 6-plant table grape vine in my back yard. After much research, I've found the varieties I'm interested in online, but no one can ship to CA. Does anyone have any suggestions for attaining the varieties I'm looking for...perhaps a local nursery in the north LA area or Southern CA internet-based nursery with the following bare root or 2-3 year starts? I live in Lancaster.
    -Flame
    -Thompson Seedless
    -Sugraone
    -Crimson Red

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

afgoody, better to start a new thread. Have you tried a local garden center to see if they can order those cultivars for you?

Dave Wilson wholesales 3 of those grape cultivars; check to see if there is a retailer near you that can order them, but bare-root season is over--

Here is a link that might be useful: list of retailers that sell Dave Wilson plants

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

For anyone who is looking for a specific variety, all you have to do is go to the UCD National Grape Registry, search alphabetically, click on the variety, and you will get all of the vendors who sell that particular variety, plus a wealth of information about it as well.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: National Grape Registry