Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybrid Fruit Tree

Posted by sheax CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 15:21

Hi All,

I am new to this gardening thing but I am getting into it! I recently purchased a house that has a few fruit trees in the back yard. I am told there are 2 apple trees and a plum tree(bare at the moment). There is also a lemon/lime hybrid tree which is bearing fruit. The crazy thing is, there is an orange growing on the back of the same tree! Is this even possible? A tree growing lemons, limes and oranges? There is a tag around the trunk that says Valencia Oranges, although there is currently only one growing that I see. There are quite a few lemons of various sizes all over the tree.

Any help on an explaination would be great!

S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybrid Fruit Tree

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 17:09

Oranges have several crops on the tree at a time. The orange one may well be ready to pick. The yellow ones are turning orange or are in trouble (cut one in half to check), the green ones are too young to be orange.

o

ok but these are different fruit. Literally, there are lemons growing on the same tree as an orange. Not different phases of the same fruit, actual different fruit. Is this possible?

o

You might have what has become known as a "Fruit cocktail" tree.

It's not a hybrid.

It's simply 3, 4, 5 and sometimes 6 cultivars (varieties) of citrus budded ("grafted") onto one central stock.

Common to these marketing gimmicks is that one or more cultivars become overly aggressive and one or more of the cultivars simply fade away, not being able to compete.

Joe

o

Are you sure the orange fruit isn't a ripe Meyer Lemon.... which has an orange skin when ripe. The flavor is a mild lemon with orange undertones. It can have Meyer Lemons in various stages of growth all at the same time.

I guess I didn't understand if the Valencia tag was on this same tree or not.

o

The fruit is definitely an orange while the rest of the tree produces lemons/limes. The valencia orange is growing from a different large branch than the rest of the fruit. I assumes it was just grafted together which I understand is not completely uncommon. However, this tree is producing great fruit of all three varieties. I think you are right about one fruit taking over though since there are several branches blooming lemons/limes and only one orange currently in bloom. I just wanted to make sure I am not crazy!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 9:32

If you think THAT'S awesome, Sheax, you should check out Joe's 50-n-1 tree! :)

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here