Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to trim and prune star jasmine and tropical hibiscus?

Posted by island 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 15:57

I'm in San Diego.

When is the best time to trim star jasmine on a trellis along a fence and to prune back tropical hibiscus?

Both just did their own thing without any guidance for years, but got a bit trampled when we put in a new fence last summer so it forced a little cutting back of the hibiscus and rewinding of the jasmine. Didn't know if they would survive, but they actually thrived, and the hibiscus bloomed more than ever.

Would like to continue cleaning up this area now that they aren't blooming, but don't know if now is the time or if there is a specific way to do it. I read some sites that say hibiscus don't need to be cut back and others that recommend cutting off 1/3 to 1/2.

Appreciate any suggestions for filling in the bald spots in my star jasmine vines and maximizing the blooming of the hibiscus. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to trim and prune star jasmine and tropical hibiscus?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 14:34

star jasmine is just about to start growing again, so prune it now before it starts. A hit of extra water and fertilizer will help those bare spots.

o
RE: When to trim and prune star jasmine and tropical hibiscus?

Thanks hoovb. Going to get on that this weekend. Any specific fertilizer your recommend? Last year i gave it some Miracle Grow and was fighting aphids for the first time ever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here