Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worthy Volunteer? I.D. Please

Posted by martinca So. Ca. Coastal- ish (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 16:11

This is sprouting in the middle of my star jasmine. about foot and half
tall, and looks lovely, but?????
I'm thinking to dig up, pot and see unless someone says, "yikes, step away from that!" Anyone? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worthy Volunteer? I.D. Please

I have this in my garden too. I took it from a garden I restored because they said it never does anything but be green, and grow. And that's true. Great foliage plant, I cut it back to the size I want it to be every season. And I have no idea what it is either.

o

Yes...shiney green, serrated leaves. Mine is on a single " trunk ", So thought it might be a tree? I will put in pot and see how tall it gets. How big is yours?
Thank you for replying!

o

Looks spot on the same to me. New growth is chartreuse and ages to brown before turning green. Something is eating mine this season. It looks like its in the laurel family but the one I was able to find that looks like it gets white flowers and red berries. This does not bloom or get berries. I keep it cut back to under five feet but it will get taller. It's been six feet tall. It is a great foliage plant. Whatever it is.

o

I'm no expert, but I'd guess the first picture is Xylosma congestum. The second picture (above) looks like a camellia.

o

I have three camellias and this has been in for years along with. Never a bloom of any sort, nor a berry of any shape comes the be on this plant. It just grows and stays evergreen. And I keep cutting it back to the size I like. It isn't picky or needy or nothing.

o

Xylosma will have thorns.

o

It's shiney like xylosma but does xylosma have serrated leaves?

o
RE: Worthy ? Still a mystery

Still a mystery cuz xylomosa does not have serrated leaves.

o

I had to go outside and look at my neighbor's Xylosma. Mature leaves are more serrated than young ones. Her's is about 10 ft. tall now. Aphids did go after new growth this spring. That's the only pest I've ever seen on it in 20 years.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 15:50

Looks a little like a seedling Toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia). The seedlings foliage are a little different than the new foliage on a more mature Toyon. The photo looks like a couple of seedling Toyon that have appeared in the garden, which I why I say that. They do bloom, but it takes quite a few years. Toyon is a good plant. It gets quite large eventually, but it is slow growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here